PC Won't Boot to Windows 10 NTFS File System BSOD

AlteredReality

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
This post is long, but only because I'm laying out all the details of what happened so that maybe someone can figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

I have two hard drives in my PC, a 6TB hdd with windows 10 on it and an older 3TB one with windows 7. I use the 6TB win 10 drive now and the other has been idle for awhile. I decided to start using the "hibernate" option instead of "sleep" because if I used sleep mode with certain programs running, when I would wake it up, it would immediately restart and then I'd lose my session (and any unsaved data). I decided to give hibernation mode a try instead, and it worked great for a week or so.

At one point I decided to check on the 3TB win 7 drive since I hadn't booted it in quite a long time, so I hibernated the win 10 drive and booted to the win 7 drive. Because it hadn't been booted in ages it asked to do a disk check, but I skipped it thinking it would be fine, but before it would get to the login screen it got stuck on a black screen indefinitely. So, I restarted and again booted to the win 7 drive and this time let disk check run, but it ran the disk check on my win 10 drive as well as the win 7 one. Once it got done, the win 7 drive finally let me into the login screen and I logged in and everything was great.

So, I restarted to return to my win 10 drive, and it seemingly loaded correctly, but when it got to the login screen it asked for my password instead of PIN, which was weird, but entered it and logged in. However, everything was acting very strange, I would click the PC settings icon and the window would open and then immediately close, and same with everything else I tried. So, I decided to restart thinking the hibernation was just bugged, but upon the restart, right after the BIOS screen it crashed with a BSOD that said "Stop Code: NTFS FILE SYSTEM". Same thing after many tries.

I then booted to my win 7 drive and looked in My Computer to find that the win 10 drive didn't show any capacity info, no name and in the properties showed 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free space. If I tried to open the drive, it wouldn't open and said "E:\ is not accessible, access is denied". I then restarted and booted again to the win 7 drive, where it again asked to do a disk check on the win 10 drive, so I let it run, and it took around 11 hours to complete. After it was finished, I logged into the win 7 drive and saw no change in the win 10 drive status, still wasn't accessible.

I then entered the WinPE that opens when the PC fails to boot 3 times in a row and opened the command prompt (it asked for my password and let me in) and found that the win 10 drive was now being called D:\ and I used the "dir" command to confirm that, and it was showing the correct amount of used/free space. I then tried running a disk check from there using "chkdsk /r" on the D:\ drive, which then had the error "chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPEN HANDLES WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)". I did some research and also shut down and disconnected the win 7 drive in case that was interfering. Booted back into WinPE and again ran chkdsk /r and said it again prompted the dismount question, so I chose "y" and it ran for a few hours, and finished with the result that it found no problems. I restarted and this time it got past the BIOS screen without a BSOD, but then it goes to a black screen that has a circle of white dots that just spin indefinitely (with little to no hdd light activity after a few seconds). I still cannot get past this infinite loading screen.

I tried booting into WinPE again and chose to boot into win 10 safe mode, but it did the same thing except no spinning white dots, just an infinite black screen.

I then decided to boot to my win 7 drive and see if I could back up the data on the unbootable win 10 drive and purchased $70 EaseUS Data Recovery software and was fortunately able to backup my data to my win 7 drive.

After that, I booted back into WinPE and tried "System Restore", but there were no restore points. I then tried "Startup Repair", which ran for around 10 or 20 sec and then said "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC", I checked the log file it saved using command prompt and it said that it ran all the tests with no errors, and at the bottom said "Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully".

I then tried the command "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows" (it was now C:\ because the win 7 drive was disconnected), and it ran for about 30 minutes with the result "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.".

And this is where I am now. I've tried every option in WinPE except "Reset this PC" and "Go back to the previous build". I was considering $40 software that a link online said could fix this issue, link here (refer to part 2):

https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix-ntfs-file-system-bsod-error.html

But I'd rather not spend the money if it's not going to work. That link says it runs "Check Partition Properties", "Call Windows Chkdsk.exe" and "Surface Test". Other than the surface test, that just sounds like what I've already tried, but there is a sliver of hope that maybe running it from this program as opposed to WinPE would somehow be different. Other than that I'm stuck and pretty much out of options here.

The drive acts like everything is perfectly fine when checked from WinPE, shows everything when I type "dir", but won't boot and also can't be accessed by my win 7 drive in My Computer.

I have a theory that what caused this issue was that the win 10 drive was hibernating when the win 7 drive decided to run the disk check on it, which could have corrupted something, and I think it may be that because after this is when I started having problems.

I'd also like to add that when I boot to the win 7 drive and go to disk management, it shows the win 10 drive and the capacity, and even says "Healthy", but when I try to right click and go to its properties, the window opens and immediately closes.

Thoughts, suggestions, advice? Thanks

PS: The drives are both WesternDigital Black, the 6TB was purchased new and installed in Jan 2017.

This is because hibernation, when you use mutiple boot options always disable hibernation it will create problems. Also be sure to disable fast boot in windows 10 beacuse it also creates problems if you have a multiboot setup (it usually disable itself when you are disabling hibernation but be sure to check that).

AlteredReality

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

Alright, thanks for the info. Wish I'd known this before, but here we are.

AlteredReality

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013

I was hoping to fix this without reinstalling, but it's looking like that's pretty much my only option. Is this the same as "resetting" the PC in the WinPE?

AlteredReality

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Upon resetting the PC, it booted to the login screen, but after logging in, it got stuck on a black screen with a cursor. So, I tried booting into safe mode and was finally able to login there, however almost nothing on the desktop responded to clicks or keyboard shortcuts, the start menu wouldn't open, I couldn't search, etc.

I decided after that that the only option was to wipe the drive and do a clean win 10 install, which I did successfully and now it's working. I have to reinstall all my programs and copy my data back over, but at least I know it was not likely a physical hardware issue.

My conclusion is that, most likely, the initial disk check on the win 7 drive corrupted the win 10 drive because it was in hibernation. So if you are reading this, please DO NOT using hibernation when you have a dual boot setup, as it could corrupt your OS and possibly cause you to lose data.