Are account deletion requests just being ignored?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I requested my account plus all personal data and details to be deleted over a week ago as have many other members (seen posts asking the same thing), plus many of my techy friends and colleagues, and the hundreds of people on other forums who have been posting screenshots (proof) of their account deletion requests, yet their accounts haven't been deleted weeks later nor my own, even though multiple forum mods have specifically told me they have processed it and it's done... yet here I am.

Many of us share the opinion that Tom's Hardware is in panicked damage control over the recent suicidal [strike]paid advert[/strike] article: "Just Buy It" by none other than Avram Piltch the editor-in-Chief himself and the cluster-poop that followed; banning of employees talking about the article, deletion of posts and threads mentioning it or any criticism, and now with Thomas Pabst, the actual Tom, founder of Tom's Hardware speaking out saying (Source); He would have been less kind about the (Just Buy It) article", going further to say the article was "ultimately ridiculous, suicidal and epically nonsensical!
So, is it full panic mode now whereby account deletion requests just plainly being ignored in a vain attempt to act like everything is fine?!

Don't get me wrong I was a huge fan of Tom's Hardware I spent a lot of time on this site, reading hundreds of articles, helping (or trying to) hundreds of people in the forums, trusted the info and testing the company put out so I certainly didn't want to see it all full apart, it's horrible seeing a formally great tech place and community being nose-dived into the dirt by it's own editor-in-chief. I mean Jebus H Christ, banning your own staff and mods for saying they disagree or even mentioning the article, removing seemingly any post regarding it or the fallout from it, come on what the hell is going on is the person behind the wheel off their meds!

I'm positive Tom's Hardware will survive as it has such a large audience but no company worth their salt, any knowledgeable consumer or enthusiast will go near Tom's Hardware again, well, not unless Avram Piltch steps down and the new management proves they're not morons.

This "Just Buy It" article, then the doubling down on it after the world collectively said; "That's was a joke, right? Please say that was just a really bad joke that fell flat!", then the disgusting pathetic attempts at silencing everyone has destroyed any and all trust in this company and anyone within it. The article wasn't bad, it was outrageous and extremely harmful to consumers and tech journalism.

I, like many, no longer trust Tom's Hardware in any way after that ridiculous article and the disgusting attempts at silencing people who spoke out about it.
This is why I'm requesting my account and all personal data to be deleted. I'm not jumping on a bandwagon, I'm not some moronic AMD fanboy, I am not a child just here to shout and scream... I was a fan that very much enjoyed read TomsHW articles, helping out on the forum and found a lot of help myself here, I recommended many people here but this is too much, the article was bad enough but the following insanity pushes it past the point of recovery.

So, I am formally requesting, again, that my TomsHW account plus all personal details, data, and anything linked to said account to be removed and deleted as soon as humanly possible, please.

[Edit] - Punctuation and adding context

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have no dog in this fight, but will point out that in general, forum sites like this disclaim that your posts are basically their property after making live. In many cases this is borne out where you see no "delete" button. In my dealings with other forums I have had similar requests and had to resort to physically going back and editing or deleting posts personally.

euphoria4949

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

That's fine, leave my posts up, I've helped many people figure out issues and these posts might help someone in the future. But that does not affect my request and my right for my account and my personal data to be deleted, e.g. my email, Facebook, name, DOB... everything and anything.

I no longer trust Tom's Hardware in any way after that ridiculous insane article and then the following attempts at silencing people who spoke out about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.