What is DSR and why is it enabled?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. I have a gtx 1070, an amd fx 9370 and samsung 1080p 60hz monitor and yesterday while I was browsing through the nvidia control panel, I noticed on manage 3D settings that dsr is enabled and it is set to 2.00x. What is dsr and should I have it on or set it off? Does it have an impact in gaming if it's enabled? If not should I set it to 4.00x or will this lower my fps? Thanks in advance.

Solution
DSR would only be enabled if you selected 2715x1527 in the games menu, yes it will have an impact on performance probably pretty significant. It doesn't do anything if you leave your resolution at 1080p. You can leave it on or turn it off, it will not do anything unless you select the higher resolution in the games settings menu.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You can turn it off.

It's a super sampling feature, it can make a game you are playing render it's textures at a higher resolution than your montitor which make a game look a bit sharper remove some aliasing but at a big performance cost.

With DSR enabled at 2x you should have the option in a games settings menu to increase the resolution to 2x your monitors native resolution. This probably wont be set by default you would need to open a supported games menu then change the resolution manually. If you turn it off you will no longer have that resolution option.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
https://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

TL;DR it's basically super sampling anti aliasing. Having it turned on will allow you to select resolutions (in games or even in the desktop) higher than your monitor's native resolution, causing the image to be rendered at the higher resolution and then downsampled before being displayed. If you choose to run games at higher resolutions, that will obviously affect performance.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Yeah I have all my games at 1080p but there is a resolution option that is 2715x1527 but I haven't enabled that. Does dsr 2.00x and 1080p on all games have impact on performance? If so should I turn it off? What will happen if I set it to 4.00x and I still have the ingame resolution at 1080p? Will this have an impact on performance. Sorry for the late answer. Thanks in advance.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
DSR would only be enabled if you selected 2715x1527 in the games menu, yes it will have an impact on performance probably pretty significant. It doesn't do anything if you leave your resolution at 1080p. You can leave it on or turn it off, it will not do anything unless you select the higher resolution in the games settings menu.

Solution