Monitor or new Computer

ville72

Reputable
Jan 15, 2018
I'm having a hard time choosing if I should either buy a new computer or if I should get a monitor. I play cs: go and I'm fine using the lowest graphics apart from the resolution. I get around 100-200fps when surfing which is something I do a lot. I also KZ climb and get the same results. When I play matchmaking which I do a lot I get about 40-100 fps, which feels really "not smooth" if you wanna call it that. Especially when shooting and being In action I get about 50 - 80 fps. My computer is sometimes being a hassle, it doesn't save game files, it takes a long time to open files and so on.

I don't know the name of my monitor, but I do know it has 60hz and is about 12 years old. I do not know what response time it has. The monitor I was looking at buying was the MSI Optix MAG24C. At the time in my country (Sweden) it's cheaper than usually. -30% from its original price. (About 100 dollars or so.)

My computer at the time has an RX 460, AMD Athlon(TM) X45 845, 8gb of ddr3, a 1 TB hard drive and a 500W cm PSU I think. The CPU is really cheap at about 50$ in my country.

The PC I am planning to buy if I'm not buying the monitor will have a 1060 6gb, i5 8400, 8gb DDR4, the 1TB hard drive from my current pc and also the power supply from my current pc.

So to the conclusion, I want either a new PC or a new monitor but I cannot choose. Which one do you think is the best?

Solution
if you're looking to game then i think a PC upgrade would be the way to go first. that X4 CPU gets beat out by an intel core i3 in most benchmarks even with the X4 having more cores then it. but it would be more expensive then buying a monitor because if you are looking to do a major upgrade you would have to buy a CPU, motherboard, DDR4 ram, and possibly have to buy another copy of windows
if you're looking to game then i think a PC upgrade would be the way to go first. that X4 CPU gets beat out by an intel core i3 in most benchmarks even with the X4 having more cores then it. but it would be more expensive then buying a monitor because if you are looking to do a major upgrade you would have to buy a CPU, motherboard, DDR4 ram, and possibly have to buy another copy of windows

Solution
First: Definitely get a new computer. Later on you could buy a new or use 144Hz display.

Second: If you have a 60hz monitor playing above 60 FPS won't matter... even if your computer goes above 60 FPS your monitor won't. So don't make your PC overwork for no reason.