Alienware 15 R4 Which is the fastes port for display?

juan334

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
So i just bought the Alienware 25" gsync monitor. Its capable of 240hz. I am trying to figure out which ports are the fastest.

Has a thunderbolt, HDMI, minidisplay port

I am trying to figure out which is the fastest to acheice the highest refhresh rate. thunderbolt or mini display?

Solution
Any of those ports will work for 1080p at 240Hz, but only Mini DisplayPort and TB3 will work with GSync. I would use DP, as the cable is cheaper than TB3. It's also unclear whether TB3 is compatible with GSync. ThunderBolt uses the DisplayPort standard for video, but Nvidia doesn't list it as compatible, probably because the only graphics cards (that I know of) with USB Type-C outputs are the unreleased RTX 20 series and Apple/Blackmagic's eGPU (and uh I guess a couple more all-in-one eGPUs).

The prime mediocre

Distinguished
Any of those ports will work for 1080p at 240Hz, but only Mini DisplayPort and TB3 will work with GSync. I would use DP, as the cable is cheaper than TB3. It's also unclear whether TB3 is compatible with GSync. ThunderBolt uses the DisplayPort standard for video, but Nvidia doesn't list it as compatible, probably because the only graphics cards (that I know of) with USB Type-C outputs are the unreleased RTX 20 series and Apple/Blackmagic's eGPU (and uh I guess a couple more all-in-one eGPUs).

Solution