Changing brightness doesn't work on laptop [SOLVED]

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
After updating my CPU's built-in GPU (Intel 630 I believe on the i7-8570H), I've noticed that I can't change the brightness using any of the settings on my computer, whether it's by the keyboard, settings, or battery in the taskbar.

Updating the Intel GPU kept "installing" an update, meaning that when I click to update the driver in the device manager, it would say "downloading update" then "your device is up to date" no matter how many times I've updated it. Maybe this is the issue?

I am on my computer many hours so it'd be nice to lower the brightness once in a while, but I can't because clicking the lighting option from the battery menu in the taskbar literally does nothing - the % changes from 0 to 25, and so forth, but the actual brightness of the monitor stays at 100.

After updating my CPU's built-in GPU

I assume you mean you updated the graphics driver - - where did you download it from? Best practice is to download the driver manually from the laptop maker's website then install it. That way you know exactly what you've downloaded (driver version etc) before continuing.

If your laptop was working okay before this issue arose, you shouldn't have messed with any of it's drivers anyway.

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014

Okay so my laptop is a Clevo laptop so after uninstalling the pre-installed Clevo Control Center 2.0 (which caused GPU throttling which is why I uninstalled it), I was unable to change my brightness. I was able to as soon as I reinstalled the control center. That's a bit weird.

BinaryGreen

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014

False alarm, turned on my computer today to find out that even with it installed it doesn't work again. Maybe when only the program is on or off?