is ASUS VG248QE still good in 2018

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a 144hz monitor and I'm thinking about going with the ASUS VG248QE. It seems to be a popular choice for a 144 monitor. Are my computer specs capable of using this monitor? At the moment I use 2 60hz monitors, so this will be my third display. Does having a 144 monitor make the gpu work harder?

I've heard some streamers talking about G-Sync.. I'm not sure what this is exactly, but is it worth picking up this 144 asus monitor in 2018 ignoring the fact that is doesn't have G-Sync, or should I be buying a 144 monitor that also includes G-Sync?

Also, do all monitors connect to the graphics card, or should some go into the motherboard too?

Specs: i5 4690k, gtx 970

Solution
Your specs are fine for 144hz if you are playing lighter games or e-sports ones like Counter-Strike or Fortnite. You might just need to turn down the settings a bit. I wouldn't worry about G-Sync because of its price premium and mostly because if you're gaming @144hz. you wont notice any screen tearing. If you can get the monitor around or sub $200 I say yeah it's worth it. I'm currently using it now! The colors are a bit washed out for my liking. You can fix this by downloading an ICC profile and messing around with the monitor settings. Use this guide if you ever do buy it, it makes the monitor look amazing.

Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6DPo5drsE

Also, all monitors connect to the graphics card. :)

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Your specs are fine for 144hz if you are playing lighter games or e-sports ones like Counter-Strike or Fortnite. You might just need to turn down the settings a bit. I wouldn't worry about G-Sync because of its price premium and mostly because if you're gaming @144hz. you wont notice any screen tearing. If you can get the monitor around or sub $200 I say yeah it's worth it. I'm currently using it now! The colors are a bit washed out for my liking. You can fix this by downloading an ICC profile and messing around with the monitor settings. Use this guide if you ever do buy it, it makes the monitor look amazing.

Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6DPo5drsE

Also, all monitors connect to the graphics card. :)

Solution

smilemore

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
Cool thanks guys..

Another question I had was, if I'm making any FPS beyond the 60 mark, is the 144hz monitor going to look the same as my 60hz monitor I use now, or worse? I look at this upgrade like unlocking my monitors "seeable" fps from 60 to 144 FPS, is this correct? Because a game like GTA 5, I'm not going to be making the 100+ fps ranges, so is the monitor going to look the same as a 60hz with the capped 60 fps, same with other demanding games capped at 60? Does the monitor allow the hz to be capped at lower speeds like, 60, 75, 120 and not just 144, if I need to lower it? Is it better to leave it at 144 hz if you're only making 60 ish fps?

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015

Because the monitor is 144hz, everything above 60fps will look and feel smoother than your current 60hz panel. Just because you aren't hitting 144fps doesn't mean it's going to feel like 60hz or worse. Just leave it at 144hz. In my opinion, 60fps on a 144hz screen feels better than 60fps on a 60hz screen. Make sure to set the monitor to 144hz in windows display settings, If you can't, you probably arent using the right cable connection. Make sure you are using either DVI-D, Display Port, or HDMI 1.3 or higher.