Gaming Refresh Rate Settings

lilusman77

Commendable
Sep 12, 2018
I posted this in the Display Section as well because I wasn't sure where it belongs.

Long time lurcher first time poster here. My question is about what setting to run for my refresh rate.
Currently I have a Samsung UN40MU6290 television as my computer display. I got this TV at a smoking deal and at the time couldn't afford a computer monitor. I set the TV to game mode which greatly improved input lag to somewhere near 8-10ms which is ok for now.
My computer setup is:
MSI x99a Godlike Carbon Motherboard
Intel I7 5820K CPU @ 4.0Ghz
EVGA GTX 1080 SC Graphics Card
32 (8x4) DDR4 RAM Memory
I'm getting to my question I promise! My son enjoys playing video games such as Fortnite but at the same time like to record with OBS. I know the native refresh rate of this monitor is 60Hz and it is marketed as 120Hz Motion Rate by Samsung. In the Windows display setting and also the NVIDIA Control Panel 60Hz is the highest refresh rate selectable. Video and audio are run over a high speed HDMI cable because this TV does not have a display port.
In many games like Fortnite and benchmarks like Valley Benchmark the On Screen Display will show something like 180-200FPS running at 2K 2560x1440 and will show 80-100FPS running at 4K 3840x2160.
1. I'm guessing these on screen displays are the frames per second being output by the PC but are not what is being displayed correct?
2. Should I limit my fps in games to 60 and just keep the resolution at 4K; thus freeing up the Card to do stuff like recording?
3. Is there any advantage with this setup to changing game settings above 60Hz?
Thank you in advance for your responses.

siles2004

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
1. Correct.

2. I would definitely go V-Sync if input won't be too bad, at least you won't have any tearing or so.
I am unsure about Fortnite as it is the only game I do not want to touch ever, but there might be the option to limit FPS in game via the fps limiter.
it doesn't matter if you have 200 fps output or limit to 60, there is no television at this point who can do more than 60fps at 4k.
Some were capable mostly the 3D capable one's but then again had no input capable of accepting 120hz.
And TV hz aren't the same as a pc monitor hz.

3. Yes go for a gaming monitor.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/

Here is the biggest 4k 144hz capable gaming monitor.
there aren't too many out there just 2 or 3 ,so take what you can get, but it is a bit of a shame using a 1080 on a TV and not a gaming monitor :)

There is literally nothing else you can do with this TV.

So up to you :)

Have a good one ^^

lilusman77

Commendable
Sep 12, 2018
thank you Siles I will take you suggestions into consideration. Id really love a nice gsync monitor. Just need the funds. Ive got a lot of first world problems!

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from lilusman77 : "Proper refresh rate settings"

TRENDING THREADS