Can't activate Windows 10 Home, key doesn't work

Aug 12, 2018
So my pc is a refurb Windows 10 home (was home). Some updates wouldn't download and stuff. Anyway, I decided I wanted to try Windows 10 Pro, so I got an activation key, got on my computer, click "Change Product key" bla bla bla and it restarted and bam. Updates updated and there we go.

Now I decided I just wanted Windows 10 Home back as it is the version that came on the computer and I got no use for the pro features. I click "change product key" and use the key on the sticker label on the tower.. but.. "The product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or try a different one. (0x80070057)"

??? Help...

Because Microsoft.

It makes sense because upgrading from Home to Pro only entails Microsoft enabling features that are already there, just locked. I'm sure its harder to remove the features once they are enabled then it is just to unlock them.

USAFRet

Titan

Applications.
Your "files" are things created with those.

.mp3, 'doc, .xls, etc, etc.

And an easy way to reinstall those particular things is via ninite.com.
Select the ones you want, download a tiny .exe...run it. It installs whatever files you've selected.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Your personal files...you need to save them to some other location.

The installation of Win 10 Home is a full wipe and reinstall. Everything else is gone.

Aug 12, 2018
Okay. So I want to just activate the pro instead of trying to get home. So I tried the activation key and it won't work. So I thought, there must be some on the internet that would work if my key doesn't want to. Any that I try I will get it to activate but it says it is activated with an orginization or I get "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key...."

USAFRet

Titan

So...

It was originally Win 10 Home
You "got an activation key" (from your original post)
It upgraded and activated to Win 10 Pro
Then, you tried to revert to Win 10 Home
That failed, as to be expected.

Correct?

Now...
"So I want to just activate the pro instead of trying to get home."

Was the Win 10 Pro not activated after you entered the license key?
Where did you get the Win 10 Pro license key from?

Aug 12, 2018

Correct.

I just decided instead of reverting back to home I would keep the pro and activate it, but it says it was activated using organization services, so I thought I'd try getting some from the internet and try them instead, but the same thing, either that or "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key...."

"Was the Win 10 Pro not activated after you entered the license key?"
-Yes, it was but said it was activated using organization services. So ^same as above^ I thought I'd try getting some from the internet and try them instead, but the same thing, either that or "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key...."

Where did you get the Win 10 Pro license key from?
-I had it but didn't work, so again ^same as above^ I thought I'd try getting some from the internet and try them instead, but the same thing, either that or "We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital licence or product key...."

Sorry If I am going in circles!

USAFRet

Titan
so I thought I'd try getting some from the internet and try them instead

Windows licensing does not work like that. You can't just get them from some place on the interwebs.
It actually costs money.
Win 10 Pro starts at about $140 USD.

Your best and only bet right now is just to completely revert back to your original Win 10 Home, that the system came with.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you can't use "KMS" license keys either.
That WILL unactivate itself before long.

KMS = "Key Management Server". This exists in a corporation, and that license WILL need to contact that server before long.If it fails, and it wil...it will unactivate itself.

Wherever you got that is 'selling' bogus licenses.

RTM = "Release to Manufacturer" Also not valid for sale to you, the consumer.

Stop buying bogus licenses. Or however you're obtaining them.

Aug 12, 2018

Okay. But just a question if you don't mind.

Why is it that some keys work (the organization keys) but not the other keys, and why don't the other keys work on my computer? Why does it only allow the organization ones?

Aug 12, 2018

Just a question. As an example, you buy windows 10 pro (legit) and share your key on the internet, it won't work for other people?

USAFRet

Titan

Because you're buying bogus license keys.
The "organization" (key word there) may work for a while.
When that license needs to talk to its licensing server, it WILL fail.

A company has a fleet of 1,000 PC's. Obviously, they don't manage the license on each PC individually.
They are given, by Microsoft, a general license key. This license needs to, eventually, talk to the Key Management Server to maintian the activation.
That server is another box, in the corporate LAN.
The reactivation is on some time period. Weekly, monthly...maybe even 6 months.

Your PC cannot talk to that. And as such, will fail.

Simple solution:
Reinstall your original Win 10 Home, and leave it be.