BSOD error after installation of new CPU

Ahston

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hello, after looking for an improved CPU for my system, I found one, bought it, and then installed it into my rig. Immediately upon its installation, I noticed a significant increase in its heat. At idle, it clocks in at anywhere between 40 to 55°C (which is rare for my setup which normally gets around the upper 20s). When gaming, the number goes up to the mid to upper 60s and even to the lower 70s (normally it's at about 50). Upon waking up the next morning, I found my computer stuck in a BSOD with the error message SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and that lvrs64.sys had failed. I looked it up and this is a file that is related to logitech webcams, something that I myself have. So, after looking around on the internet, I learnt that I should uninstall and reinstall the software (in the proper manner). I did this; but, nothing came of it result wise. I haven't had a BSOD since (this was earlier today that it happened so enough time likely hasn't passed); but, I know that the abnormal heat of my CPU still being present indicates that something is very likely still wrong with my setup.

I have read that after replacing a major part like the CPU, one needs then to reinstall Windows 10 outright. Is this true? (I hope not; I don't have a copy lying around to do it with, not to mention how time-consuming that would be)

Here are my specs for the computer:
CPU: AMD FX- 8350
RAM: 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme9
GPU: GeForce GTX 760 (EVGA)
SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO
HDD: Seagate

I suspect that you might also want a dump file for the crash. I doubt, though, that a file was made since I have read that such settings have to be set up before the crash, something that I didn't anticipate and therefore didn't set up beforehand; and, I don't really want to make my computer blue-screen again just to get the info if I can help it.

Thank you very much!

Hi,

+1 normally upgrading cpu does not require reinstalling windows unless windows is not detecting it right.

First off, you probably had a fx-4200 or fx-6300 witch requires less energy than the FX- 8350 (so produce less heat).
Second, your cooler must be installed incorrectly, you should check that out to be sure.
Third, fx cpu don't like temperature above 60 degree, this is probably why you get BSOD / errors

Questions:
1- did you replace the thermal paste ?
2- did you update your bios
3- any overclocking ?

Ahston

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

1- Yes, I replaced the thermal paste, putting a new layer on and cleaning off some of the old paste still stuck on my liquid cooler.
2 - I have not. I'm honestly not sure how to do it. My current version is P1.80 which came out 29 March 2016, though. I've been to the ASRock website but I can't tell which version to download. The website's layout is pretty confusing at the moment.
3 - Nope, I've never done that.

The PSU not giving out enough juice to the new CPU isn't an issue though since my PSU originally was built to handle a setup with the amount of wattage I now, again, need. A few years ago, I downgraded to a lesser CPU that had a lower power requirement so I'm now simply returning to the amount that I was using up before. That can't be the problem. For reference, my last chip was the 4350 and my original chip was the 9370.