Solved

Installing Windows 10 From USB

Hi all, I have a asus transformer t100t4, which comes with 32 bit windows 8. I upgraded to windows 10 using the windows media creation tool. However, to run some software I need to be on a 64 bit OS (my cpu is x64). I used the media creation tool to load a usb stick with windows 10. I power up the laptop and select the usb to be boot device. However, the laptop just boots as normal (as if it booted from the main storage). I am trying a different usb stick, meanwhile I ask for help. This is quite urgent as I have to travel soon and need to know whether I can upgrade to windows 10 64 bit or have to purchase a new laptop. Thanks.
42 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installing windows usb
  1. Scottray said:

Still no difference.
  2. Let's double check that you're following this procedure:
    1. Don't insert the usb stick yet.
    2. Power up, immediately go into bios. Set USB as the first boot device. Save and exit the bios. Let the PC launch into windows, then power down.
    3. Connect the usb stick.
    4. Power up.
    5. You're Asus laptop may or may not do this next step. Look out for a ‘Press any key to boot from USB’ message: unless you hit a key at that point, your computer will skip the USB drive and move on to the next boot device that you’ve configured.
    6. Hopefully, the Windows installer starts.
  3. Scottray said:
    Let's double check that you're following this procedure:
    1. Don't insert the usb stick yet.
    2. Power up, immediately go into bios. Set USB as the first boot device. Save and exit the bios. Let the PC launch into windows, then power down.
    3. Connect the usb stick.
    4. Power up.
    5. You're Asus laptop may or may not do this next step. Look out for a ‘Press any key to boot from USB’ message: unless you hit a key at that point, your computer will skip the USB drive and move on to the next boot device that you’ve configured.
    6. Hopefully, the Windows installer starts.

The laptop only lets you select the usb as a boot device when it is connected. I set the boot priority to the usb first, but it still boots normally. There is an option to override the boot settings with a desired boot device. When I select the usb stick the bios refreshes. It seems to fail to boot from the usb.
  4. did you create the Win10x64 usb with the Media Creation Tool or did you choose Win10x32?
  5. Peter Martin said:
    did you create the Win10x64 usb with the Media Creation Tool or did you choose Win10x32?

I selected the architecture to be 64 bit
  6. it's a 64 bit Atom processor, hmmmm, Win10x64 should install, it shipped with 8.1 says ASUS
  7. Just boot into your current os, insert the usb stick,open the drive & run the setup.exe from the root directory.
  8. in the asus bios turn off csr secuity it may be in the bios boot tab. this keep intel mb from booting fro musb and hard drive to clone or take data off laptops. if there nothing there then use f8 at power up and change the boot order there. if the usb stick wont boot. try another stick and redownload the microsoft media creation tool.
  9. madmatt30 said:
    Just boot into your current os, insert the usb stick,open the drive & run the setup.exe from the root directory.

When I try to run the setup I get a message: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."
  10. Rs Fps said:
    madmatt30 said:
    Just boot into your current os, insert the usb stick,open the drive & run the setup.exe from the root directory.

When I try to run the setup I get a message: "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

Right.
    You cannot run the 64bit OS setup.exe from within a running 32bit OS.
    It must boot from that USB.
  11. did you look at the link to migrate from 32 to 64 bit above?

"Before getting started

Switching from 32 bit to 64 bit in Windows 10 is free, so you do not need to pay more. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7/8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
    There is no direct path to upgrade Windows 10 tablet from 32 bit to 64 bit, so you have to make a clean installation of the operating system. The process will wipe all files, applications and settings.
    Make sure you back up important files beforehand.
    You have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers."
  12. Peter Martin said:
    did you look at the link to migrate from 32 to 64 bit above?

"Before getting started

Switching from 32 bit to 64 bit in Windows 10 is free, so you do not need to pay more. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7/8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
    There is no direct path to upgrade Windows 10 tablet from 32 bit to 64 bit, so you have to make a clean installation of the operating system. The process will wipe all files, applications and settings.

Yeah I've read through. It's what I was doing before.
  13. Peter Martin said:
    did you look at the link to migrate from 32 to 64 bit above?

"Before getting started

His basic issue is that the Transformer won't boot up from the USB stick.
  14. is there a way you can get a cheapo 8GB usb 2.0 stick to try installing from that? or won't it boot from any usb source
  15. Peter Martin said:
    is there a way you can get a cheapo 8GB usb 2.0 stick to try installing from that? or won't it boot from any usb source

I tried 2 different usb sticks.
  16. maybe that version won't run on your hardware? i would try hard resetting to default factory settings, then booting to usb, but that's me

according to this, you might need a new BIOS, he was saying they did not support x64 in 2014...
    https://www.urtech.ca/2014/10/solved-how-to-install-windows-10-on-an-asus-t100-transformer/
  17. Peter Martin said:
    maybe that version won't run on your hardware? i would try hard resetting to default factory settings, then booting to usb, but that's me

according to this, you might need a new BIOS, he was saying they did not support x64 in 2014...
    https://www.urtech.ca/2014/10/solved-how-to-install-windows-10-on-an-asus-t100-transformer/

How do I install a new bios?
  18. Rs Fps said:

I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit.

The main issue seems to not being able to boot from a USB stick?

Disregard Win 10 64bit.
    Can it boot from any USB stick? Possibly create a memtest86 on a USB, just to verify the system will actually boot from that.
    https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

This is not to test the RAM, just to see if we can get the system to boot from a USB.
  19. USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:

I think you're getting ahead of yourself a bit.

The main issue seems to not being able to boot from a USB stick?

Disregard Win 10 64bit.
    Can it boot from any USB stick? Possibly create a memtest86 on a USB, just to verify the system will actually boot from that.
    https://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm

This is not to test the RAM, just to see if we can get the system to boot from a USB.

memtest86 boots without any issue
  20. Rs Fps said:

memtest86 boots without any issue

OK then...we have other issues.

I have a T100T. Currently Win 10 Home 32bit.
    Let me play with it tonight, and see if I can recreate and discover what your issue might be.
  21. memtest supports both uefi and legacy boot
    he need mbr based windows boot
  22. I tried booting from the usb on a different computer and it doesn't boot. Strange. So the issue is with boot media.
  23. I burned the windows 10 iso onto a dvd, and it doesn't boot on my pc. So the issue is with the windows image. Why is it not working?
  24. Rs Fps said:
    I burned the windows 10 iso onto a dvd, and it doesn't boot on my pc. So the issue is with the windows image. Why is it not working?

You can't just burn the ISO.
    The easiest method is simply use the MediaCreation tool, direct from Microsoft.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  25. USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:
    I burned the windows 10 iso onto a dvd, and it doesn't boot on my pc. So the issue is with the windows image. Why is it not working?

You can't just burn the ISO.
    The easiest method is simply use the MediaCreation tool, direct from Microsoft.

What? It says in the media creation tool "you'll need to burn the iso file to a dvd later"
  26. Exactly - first download the windows 10 iso. Then, right click on the iso file and select burn disk image.
  27. Scottray said:
    Exactly - first download the windows 10 iso. Then, right click on the iso file and select burn disk image.

That's what I did
  28. No. Use media creation tool linked above
  29. Peter Martin said:
    No. Use media creation tool linked above

The media creation tool only lets you choose between making a boot usb and making an iso image. It does not give you an option to make a boot disk.
  30. if you point it at the dvd with a writable one, it should burn it for you
  31. Rs Fps said:
    Peter Martin said:

The media creation tool only lets you choose between making a boot usb and making an iso image. It does not give you an option to make a boot disk.

"Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10."

"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. "
  32. 1. Quick-format your usb stick to FAT32.
    2. Mount your Windows 10 x64 iso.
    3. Copy/paste all the contents from your iso to your usb stick.
    4. That's it! Your usb should boot normally, even if your system uses MBR/GPT, BIOS/UEFI.
  33. USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:
    Peter Martin said:

"Follow these steps to create installation media (USB flash drive or DVD) you can use to install a new copy of Windows 10, perform a clean installation, or reinstall Windows 10."

"A blank USB flash drive with at least 8GB of space or blank DVD (and DVD burner) if you want to create media. "

Sorry I don't understand what you're trying to get at. I tried using the tool to make a usb boot device, and creating an iso of which I burn to a dvd. Let's forget about the DVD, I need to be able to boot from a USB.
  34. Rs Fps said:
    USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:
    Peter Martin said:

Sorry I don't understand what you're trying to get at. I tried using the tool to make a usb boot device, and creating an iso of which I burn to a dvd. Let's forget about the DVD, I need to be able to boot from a USB.

You don't need to download the ISO by itself.

"Create installation media for another PC"

That will create the entire thing on a bootable USB stick.
  35. joluboga said:
    1. Quick-format your usb stick to FAT32.
    2. Mount your Windows 10 x64 iso.
    3. Copy/paste all the contents from your iso to your usb stick.
    4. That's it! Your usb should boot normally, even if your system uses MBR/GPT, BIOS/UEFI.

Followed the steps exactly, still doesn't work.
  36. USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:
    USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:
    Peter Martin said:

You don't need to download the ISO by itself.

"Create installation media for another PC"

That will create the entire thing on a bootable USB stick.

That's what I did, I checked the USB after the boot creation finished and it contained all the files. However, it doesn't boot. I tried it on my desktop (which runs windows 10 64 bit) and on my 32 bit windows 10 2 in 1 laptop that runs windows 10.
  37. Rs Fps said:

That's what I did, I checked the USB after the boot creation finished and it contained all the files. However, it doesn't boot. I tried it on my desktop (which runs windows 10 64 bit) and on my 32 bit windows 10 2 in 1 laptop that runs windows 10.

And you can't boot from that from a full power off?
    Try a different USB stick?
  38. USAFRet said:
    Rs Fps said:

And you can't boot from that from a full power off?
    Try a different USB stick?

No can't boot, I tried a different USB stick and still doesn't boot.
  39. Apparently the cpu isn't 64 bit, or the other hardware doesn't support 64 bit. I forgot what happened exactly but basically I came across a message saying that the cpu isn't 64 while trying to install 64 bit windows.
  40. Best answer
    Rs Fps said:
    Apparently the cpu isn't 64 bit, or the other hardware doesn't support 64 bit. I forgot what happened exactly but basically I came across a message saying that the cpu isn't 64 while trying to install 64 bit windows.

Yes. An Asus Transfomer T100T has a 32bit processor.
    You absolutely need a 32bit OS to boot from for this.
Ask a new question

Read More

windows 10 Asus USB Windows 8