What is Error 0xC0000005 and why would the windows installer be showing it

Sep 1, 2018
Whenever we try an install, brand new SSD, Brand new Ram, Properly downloaded and created straight from MS windows installer USB.....It gives this error in a little window, and makes us start the installer all over again no matter how far it got. I've seen it trying to load the windows version selection, trying to load the Disks, trying to copy files, and trying to unpack files, and pretty much everywhere in-between.

Im certain it's a hardware error, but the error code is utterly incomprehensible. The Ram is brand new, I can't imagine it's bad. Could it be a processor issue? The processor was also new, but everything was "shipped" to the house, so lord only knows what conditions it was kept it.

Any time we do manage to install windows, it never finishes. It gets past the first few reboots and then hangs somewhere further down the line. Often times on the first "Just a moment" screen with the spinning dots. Sometimes on the "Getting Ready" step. Very rarely we'll end up in reboot loops where its telling us to connect to the internet for critical updates that then never finish installing. I'm completely stumped and I have no idea what's going on with this thing. I just know that it isn't working, and that the ONLY error code it ever shows us, anywhere in the process, is this one.

0xC0000005. Please restart the installation

Solution
The error halts the Windows OS installation and is mostly related to temporary hardware issues with the RAM or corrupt hard drive due to bad sectors.

Just cause ram is new, doesn't mean it can't be bad.

Download memtest86 and use it to make a bootable USB. Run a scan on each memory stick, 1 stick at a time, Only error count you want to see is 0, any higher is going to be the cause of that error. remove/replace ram with errors

The further down line stage is likely after the PC has started using the SSD instead of the USB to boot off. Could mean problem is the ssd itself. What brand is the ssd? Do you have another PC you can put drive in and test it with HDTune to see if its okay? Look on the health tab and let it...

Colif

Win 11 Master
The error halts the Windows OS installation and is mostly related to temporary hardware issues with the RAM or corrupt hard drive due to bad sectors.

Just cause ram is new, doesn't mean it can't be bad.

Download memtest86 and use it to make a bootable USB. Run a scan on each memory stick, 1 stick at a time, Only error count you want to see is 0, any higher is going to be the cause of that error. remove/replace ram with errors

The further down line stage is likely after the PC has started using the SSD instead of the USB to boot off. Could mean problem is the ssd itself. What brand is the ssd? Do you have another PC you can put drive in and test it with HDTune to see if its okay? Look on the health tab and let it run a SMART scan, you want all green OK's

If its the updates stage, you could install PC with no internet connection and it could get past that step. How new is the installer USB? If its only recently made there shouldn't be that many updates for it. You should be able to get anything after its installed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS