Updated Windows BEFORE activating it, is it okay?

shen.matt92

Commendable
Aug 4, 2018
I bought an Alienware Aurora off Best Buy and this was my first pre built PC and first Alienware. So wasn't sure how the activation process would be. It came with no CD or manual. Not even a power cable. Just the computer.

Anyway, I didn't know how to activate Windows, so I did Windows update and started installing games and what not. After a day of having the PC (just got it yesterday) I realized all I had to do was click "troubleshoot" to activate Windows.

My concern is shouldn't the updates be done after activating? I remember settings said something like "youre missing important fixes etc...if youre not running a genuine copy of Windows".

I don't know much about computers, so I assume that important drivers or files may be missing that may impact performance.

Is it too late and do I have to do a system restore or something?

Whats funny is Im not even keeping this computer. The only reason I bought it was because I built one with the exact same specs and just wanted to see if the prebuilt was better since pros made it.

To my surprise, the Alienware performs slightly better even though the one I built myself actually has slightly better parts.

Mine: 8700K @ 3.7 GHz
GTX 1080 TI @ 1569 MHz
16GB RAM @ 2666 MHz

Alienware: 8700 non K version @ 3.2 GHz
GTZ 1080 TI @ 1480 MHz
16GB RAM @ 2666 MHz

Even with EVGA precision XOC overclocking my GPU to 2000MHz the Alienware for some reason is at least on par if not still slightly better when it comes to FPS drop and micro stutter.

I took a look at the Alienware BIOS and its incredibly simple. It has way less settings than my ASRock PRO 4 Z370. But the only thing that's set differently is I left my TPM at discrete since that was the default and Alienwares is firmware TPM. But that cant possibly be the cause of my PC underperforming.

Sorry to go off topic, hoping to hit two birds with one stone here.

Doesn't matter. Windows security updates get installed as soon as they become available for your pc.

If windows was preinstalled, then it already should have all the drivers installed. No need to perform system restore.

Anyway - if you think, you're missing some drivers, then download them from dell support site.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/l...t/product/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/drivers

TRENDING THREADS