Are there any QHD IPS HDR Gaming Monitors?

lilith.insul

Reputable
Sep 14, 2018
Are there any QHD IPS HDR G-sync Gaming Monitors thats not ultra wide? Or I'm asking for too much in one package. I'm not sure if HDR is over hyped or not.

I am not aware of a monitor yet that meets those specs, g sycn seems to get in the way. But there will be. HDR is not overhyped. Those who say that it is has not seen high end HDR. For televisions, if you have two TVs side by side, one standard 4k and they other 1080p with good HDR, the 1080p TV will look better. That is the type of impact it makes.

The issue for HDR is standardization. There are multiple types of certifications on the market, and some are just not very good. This allows companies to sale "HDR" panels, but they are not very good. VESA came out with their certification standards and it really seems to stick. But even with VESA, there are levels of the certification. The VESA HDR 10 standard is MUCH better than the VESA HDR 4.

Right now, good HDR is expensive and you will pay the early adoption taxes. AAA games really started supporting it last year as there are several titles that have it running. So if you play new AAA games, then you will see more benefit. But if you play a lot of older games or indie games and wait till prices drop on new released games, then it may be best to wait a couple years before jumping on to HDR, in my opinion.