VMs in UnRAID Server OS

dexter254

Commendable
Sep 14, 2018
Hi y'all,

Say i have a system with i7 8700k, 3 Nvidia Gtx 980ti GPUs, 32Gb Ram and 1Tb 7200Rpm HDD x3.
Now, I need to install UnRaid, Have 1 OS as my main and 2 others in VM for people to use. My questions are these:
1. can users access the other 2 OS VMs via a remote connection say Teamviewer
2. how can users switch on the other systems without my intervention or do i have to start it for them?
3. does UnRAID run on USB all the time?

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about your questions.

Your system?

You really need to provide much more information about the environment and what services etc. you are trying to provide?

Have you contacted "Unraid" (https://unraid.net/)?

It's fairly complicated to do.

You need to configure PCIE passthrough and USB passthrough for each VM in order to run nvidia windows drivers.
teamviewer would have very bad lag. the only decent free one over the network would be moonlight.
using certain clients moonlight can have decent latency. nvidia shield being the best with 3ms added.
on my pixelbook I get +17ms H265 and +70ms H264.
you could also plug a monitor into the cards and play as far as the cable will get you.

you can't find any posts about stability with running multiple pcs. I've found articles where someone was doing one well. Linustechtips did 7-10 on a dual Xeon E5 setup. It crashed a lot. I think it bricked part of the system, which was $30,000+.
nvidia has virtual drivers for the $8000 grid gpu's that they power their own geforce now service with. passthrough is the only poor man solution. I've read that some boards just don't passthrough certain slots.

I've been considering trying this with 2x gpu on proxmox or even just 1. There are many articles on how to passthrough gpu's. unraid and proxmox both run KVM.

one note of caution is that you cannot turn off a VM with a passthrough GPU. you can only sleep it or turn the entire system off.

dexter254

Commendable
Sep 14, 2018

Thanks bro:)