Endless 1803 Update issues

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Hi all,

So my PC has been trying to run this 1803 update for a long time now. I eventually started ignoring the requests to restart because everytime I let it restart for the updates, the PC just ends up freezing during the windows logo and I have no choice but to hard reset the PC which then causes it to boot up correctly and say that the 1803 update failed, starting the process over again.

I haven't tried it lately but now I have a bunch of windows updates piling up and I need to know what to do. I know this is a known issue, has this been fixed by microsoft or is there something I can do to make this stop and not have issues during, or after the 1803 update?

I heard something about unplugging USBS to make it work but havent tried it and doesnt sound like it would work. Help please. Thanks.

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
It's the 1803 update.

And not sure what relevance the PC specs have at all on an update failing to install. It runs windows 10 fine and never had any issues except for this update. I'm sure Microsoft wouldn't release an update that only works on certain PCs. Im certain it has nothing to do with specs... Especially considering its a known issue with this update not wanting to install correctly for alot of people. There has to be a solution.

My system may not be the newest but it's a beast that holds its own in VR, gaming, and visual Fx work and rarely skips a beat.

But for the record:

I7 950 OC to 4ghz
Noctua air cooler
GTX 1070
Evga 650watt psu
24gb of ddr 3 ram
Plenty of hard drive space
Asrock X58 extreme motherboard

Colif

Win 11 Master
Specs can affect it as windows 10 slowly drops support for older PC as it releases new versions, so its always possible 1 update just won't work.. not suggesting that is cause now. I just wanted to make sure PC wasn't a dual core or anything :)

Have you tried downloading the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB, and use USB to run update? Sure beats downloading it multiple times.

On current install, have see if this finds anything
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

One solution is a clean install but I am not going to suggest that yet.

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I'll run the scan and see what it turns up. I refuse to do a clean install for something so silly though.

Im surprised you haven't heard of this being a known issue as it seems you are guessing at what could be causing it.

I've researched it online and many people have had this happen but I haven't found any actual solution.

Your solution suggests that there is a problem with my windows install, when the fact that many others have experienced the same suggests that the issue is with the update itself.

For example, many have described it causing an endless loop of failed installs.

It would help to hear from someone who is aware of this issue and/or has experienced it themselves.

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I didn't do the suggested fix here I fixed it much more easily by disabling Intel vt-D in the BIOS. That is the fix for the problem I reported here... simple. I also unplugged everything except mouse and keyboard to be on the safe side but the vt-d thing is what worked. If by some chance people here already have vt-d and intel virtualization disabled but still have the issue... try hatthew's fix.