Gaming PC Help

Bionic_2

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
Hey, i really wanna get a gaming PC for Christmas however i am on the fence about building one and buying a pre-made from Curry's. (link at the bottom)

My pro and cons are:
Pros:
- I don't need the hassle to build it or find someone with experience to get me parts.
- I will have a 2 year warranty on the PC.
Cons:
- Its expensive and not worth the price for it
- I dont know how to upgrade it and have no idea how long it will last

Please can someone with experience and knows anything about building PCs please respond...
Thanks
Matt

PC i want: https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/acer-nitro-n50-600-28-intel-core-i3-gtx-1050-gaming-pc-1-tb-hdd-10180711-pdt.html

Your Cons points are reason enough to watch some decent PC building video tutorials. Most that assume building is too much hassle don't foresee that just operating and maintaining a PC is as much or more daunting than assembling a mere 7 or 8 parts, and installing OS and drivers.

The things you will need to know going forward as a PC gamer, especially on the software end, are easily more complex than building a PC. Plus the knowledge you gain from the tutorials and hands on experience will help make you more confident in maintaining your PC.

I've seen a fair amount of people balk at building, only to find other aspects of PC gaming are just as daunting if not more so when they buy one prebuilt.

Anyway, it's your choice, but before you decide, check out these two videos, and wait for someone familiar with UK pricing to give you an idea just how much better parts you could get for the same price if you build your own. An 8100 and non Ti version 1050 with a mere 2GB VRAM is not exactly something that's future ready for gaming, especially if you want to play most AAA games at decent settings and/or FPS.

These take some patience, they're a good 2 hours total between the two.

Assembly
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIF43-0mDk4"][/video]

OS and Drivers
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zAdwedmj1M"][/video]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor (£155.45 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B360M-K Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£62.48 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (£79.04 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£34.74 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card (£138.19 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£43.79 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£57.99 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit (£60.00 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £668.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-16 06:29 BST+0100

Bionic_2

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
That looks like something i could handle, but i have no idea if i need multiple items or just the one. and also i wuould want Nvidia Grapihcs as well

Bionic_2

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
i look at the list more throughly and spoke to my mate who claims to have built a Pc, and on the list it didnt have a cooling fan and i dont have a clue whihch one i should get if i do build a pc in the end

^Yep, the 8400 comes with CPU cooler, and it doesn't allow overclocking, so it's an adequate one too. Just make sure your friend is there to help advise you. It's pretty easy to build with an included cooler, because it has the thermal material pre applied, whereas with aftermarket ones you have to apply the paste. It's not difficult for most, but a first timer can sometimes get it wrong.

At roughly 18% more performance than a 1050, the 1050 Ti by doesn't offer a huge performance boost, but with today's high VRAM games, the 4GB VRAM and 8400 should turn that 18% into more like 25% or more.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_1050_Ti_Gaming_X/27.html

Bionic_2

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
It'll be a mix of Minecraft, CS:GO, Roblox, Portal and Garry's Mod. But i also need it for school work.

And after looking at reviews the Acer is unrealiable so i doubt id be getting that now...

But i do have other games that i could download and play from the steam store