Black Screen before login screen

Sep 16, 2018
Hello, since about 4 days ago I've been struggling to fix an unknown issue with my pc.

I'm getting a black screen right before the usual login screen, which prevents me from logging onto my pc and using it like usual.

I've tried reinstalling windows 10 via usb boot and I have also reset windows to make sure that the installation was completed as it should. This problem started on Wednesday night and it's now Sunday night and I'm still sitting here browsing through my bios and trying to fix this issue using methods that I've found on various YouTube videos and forums. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to fix this? Thanks.

My setup:
i5 2400s @3.10 ghz cpu
16gb ddr3 ram
R9 270x gpu
Corsair 650w psu

Not sure on what the mobo is, all I know is that it's part of the Lenovo Thinkcentre line.

Sep 16, 2018

Thanks, but in the meantime I resorted to the last option that I hadn't yet used: oven baking my GPU. And it fixed it! At first I doubted that it was due to overheating but, evidently, it was the cause of the problem.

Anyway, if anyone else stumbles upon this thread, take this as an example. If you are also getting a black screen before the usual login screen, it is likely a GPU related issue (you can tell especially if you can go into automatic recovery and you see discolored lines and dots like I did). Oven baking is a viable solution but you must make sure you do it correctly and carefully.

Here's a guide on how to do it:
https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-your-Graphics-Card-by-baking-it/