[NEW BUILD] AMD budget gaming rig please help!

Sep 16, 2018
Hi guys Thanks for suggesting getting a free-sync monitor!
So I'm able to adjust my build to accommodate that while stay in the budget

I checked AMD website and the monitor model only works with Display port 1.2, I'm hoping the cable I'm getting works?

also from reading this forum, I changed to a gen2 mobo for Ryzen 2600 does the ASUS A320 come with 2nd gen bios? wanna make sure I'm not making more rookie mistakes like that, please point it out if you see compatibility issues?
P.S.my thermos paste syringe sat there for 5 years, does it expire?

Really appreciate all your help!

CgFfReV.jpg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Check to see if the monitor comes with a display port cable, otherwise, yes, that should work.
You'll be wanting a B450 chipset motherboard for the most compatibility and the ability to overclock, which you will really want for the fast memory you have chosen.

VS650 is not the most well regarded power supply, but adequate. Alternatives would Corsair RMx series, Seasonic, EVGA B2/B3 or EVGA G2/G3, Corsair CXm (2018 models)

Sep 16, 2018

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I checked Gigabyte's site for
Gigabyte B450M-DS3H AMD4
but couldn't find what rev1.0 mean? do I need to update the bios in order to support 2nd Gen 2600?

and I keep on thinking maybe the box cooler fan wouldn't be sufficient to over clock? should I get
Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue LED (DP-MCH4-GMX400) ?
it's the only AM 4 ready cooler under 50 bucks.

Thanks again for your help Eximo!

Sep 16, 2018
is Corsair CX650M (CP-9020103-AU) 650Watt 80Plus Bronze good for this build?
should I stretch the budget a little to get
Antec (EA650G-PRO) EarthWatts EA650G PRO 650W 80 Gold Semi-Modular instead?

it says .. Gold.. LOL i take it as been better quality? :p

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The 80 Plus system is a rating of efficiency. 80 Plus meaning 80% percent conversion efficiency. Bronze/ Silver/ Gold / Platinum / Titanium usually indicate a higher level of quality as you go up the scale. Simply to achieve the efficiency they have to use better components. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus

Either will work, the Gold supply should run a little cooler and quieter probably. Also save you a tiny bit of electricity.

Rev 1.0 means revision 1.0, just the first version of that board. No you won't need a bios update to run an R5-2600 on a B450 motherboard. You might on a B350 or A320 board, and you often need a 1000 series chip to do it, so it is safer to get the newer board to avoid having to send for one of AMDs flashing kits. (Not that updating to the latest BIOS is a bad idea when you get it, you should to get the latest bug fixes)

One thing I noticed is that you have a DVD drive listed, but I don't believe that case supports mounting an optical drive. Most people probably don't need an optical drive in a new system today though, which is why many recent cases leave support for them out in favor of a cleaner look and/or better airflow in the front of the case. If you want an optical drive with that case for the occasions when you might use one, you may look at external DVD-RW drives, some of which can be found for around US $25 or so. Or just skip the DVD drive altogether if you don't think you'll often be using discs in the system.

Sep 16, 2018
Thank you so much for both of your detailed and super helpful advise!! Cryo and eximo :D

From the wiki, looks like as long as it's certified 80+ the difference isnt that huge? and bronze, gold seems to be the sweet spot for Value per dollar, the higher ones drastically increase in price just to cover that extra 5-10%. I wonder if they last longer? To save enough electricity to justify the cost? In that case I should really prioritize the PSU over other things!?

Maybe I do need to get rid off the DVD from for a better PSU, sorry my collection of old 30rock dvds lol

I dont have the option to select best answer, did this thread go over a time limit?