Enquiry regarding Monitors

Sep 17, 2018
Hello!

1. Is a 29" Ultra-Wide Monitor a 29" Flat Monitor perfect for:
-Viewing Satellite TV channels using a connected Satellite receiver into one of the HDMI ports (Am I going to see black bars on
some channels or it will be automatically stretched with image distortion? because most of the TV Channels broadcast at 720p,
1080p and no clue which aspect ratio they use.

2. Web surfing (Mozilla Firefox): YouTube, Facebook, Websites, Audio/Video Streaming.

3. Watching DVD/Blu-ray and downloaded videos.

4. Basic Photo/Video Editing.

Which an affordable VGA for a 29" Ultra-Wide screen or a 29" Flat screen would you recommend?

Does HDCP compliant mean that you can connect a satellite receiver into the monitor even if wasn't a TV?

Are these screens good:
LG 29UC88 (IPS/Curved/Wide)
LG 22MA43 (IPS/Flat)

Solution
Oh, a television. Usually best to be avoided due to high input lag and high response time. Though I'm sure they didn't go out of their way to make a special LCD, so it could have a decent response time. The issue is that TVs often have scalars designed to take inputs from devices and upscale/downscale an incoming signal (televisions effectively have GPUs in them). That process takes time and causes input lag. Fine for viewing videos and broadcasts, not so much for playing games. Monitors basically take the input directly from graphics cards that do the work for them, running at whatever the expected output resolution is.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Typical TV broadcasts are in 16:9. So they would be upscaled to 1920x1080 and show black bars on the right and left. Hoprefully. It would be very bad if it stretched things. Movies are typically shot in wider aspect ratios, but not usually 21:9 So they might fill the monitor a little better, if properly cropped. Many DVDs and others still output 16:9 So you might end up with black bars all around the content.

On a computer it will use all the available screen as you see fit.

Yes, HDCP compliant means that it will work with multimedia devices.

Depends on what you find affordable, but any late model GPU is capable of driving it for desktop and multimedia use. If you plan on any higher performance applications like gaming then you would be looking at the lower of the high end cards like a GTX1070 or RX580 as minimums.

The LG29UC88 seems well regarded by its owners.

That second model doesn't seem to match anything from LG that I can find.

Sep 17, 2018

Thank you for your reply!
I'm not a gamer at all.
Simply as an expert, would you recommend me to buy LG29UC88 or Flat screen?
And what a VGA would you recommend it for a not gamer person? (Affordable)

The only difference between a monitor and a receiver is that the receiver has a TV tuner included to pick up all the different broadcast channels. If you are connecting thru a HDMI connection, you shouldn't have any issues with viewing satellite TV, or bluray/dvd devices.
HDCP is an anti piracy technology, to prevent you from recording copyrighted material, and really only affects recording devices

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a fan of the GT1030 since it is a very late model GPU. Low power, even some fanless versions. It supports all the latest connection standards (except perhaps HDMI 2.1, but that is for high refresh panels, quite rare still)

But even onboard Intel graphics is enough to drive it.

I personally prefer flat panels. Really depends on your use case though. If you are going to be the only viewer then sitting in the center won't be too difficult. Being IPS reduces viewing angle complications a lot as well.

Sep 17, 2018

It's LG 22MA43A
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1087541-REG/lg_22ma43a_22_1080p_multi_system.html
https://www.lg.com/ae/monitors/lg-22MA43A

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, a television. Usually best to be avoided due to high input lag and high response time. Though I'm sure they didn't go out of their way to make a special LCD, so it could have a decent response time. The issue is that TVs often have scalars designed to take inputs from devices and upscale/downscale an incoming signal (televisions effectively have GPUs in them). That process takes time and causes input lag. Fine for viewing videos and broadcasts, not so much for playing games. Monitors basically take the input directly from graphics cards that do the work for them, running at whatever the expected output resolution is.

Solution