Turn paging file on or off, depending on RAM size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2018
I have an idea, just not sure how to go about it. Powershell perhaps but even that is a complex one.
Basically I use a VM for my college work. Find it much better and as the college has a policy not to plug out computers so I could plug my laptop in I find using VirtualBox a real help. I also notice a HUGE preformance boost when I turn paging file off. I am running the Win 10 VM off a 5200RPM HDD so it's not ideal. To tailor my solution to dreadful non admin restrictive college computers, I have decided to use the VM everywhere. VirtualBox is on every computer in here which is excellent. Hence my question:

As some computers have more RAM than others, I always set the RAM in VirtualBox to be 3GB less than the installed RAM, leaving just enough for the host to run smoothly. Is there a script/option to automatically turn the paging file off in the VM if it boots up with more than 6GB of RAM? Any ideas?
This is quiet a unique scenario I know but it would be pretty neat to even get something like it going.
Many Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Overall I am not sure what you are asking.

Two points:

1) " the college has a policy not to plug out computers so I could plug my laptop in"

2) "To tailor my solution to dreadful non admin restrictive college computers, I have decided to use the VM everywhere."

In other words I simply do not understand nor comprehend why a college would impose restrictions on any given computer's allocation of virtual memory.

Or physical memory....

Overall it appears that you are trying to circumvent something - unique or otherwise.

Barring some meaningful clarification, your post is pending closure. I.e., giving you the benefit of the doubt for the time being.

Please explain more.

Sep 17, 2018
Many thanks for your reply.
Basically the college allows one to do very little. If Adobe flash isn't installed then that's a class gone or if I wanted to install VLC media player I can't. It is perfectly normal for college computers to be like this of course which is why I work off a VM on my external HDD. Every computer has Oracle VirtualBox installed so I always use it, and carry the VM around in my pocket. But let's say I move from one room that has a 16gb ram pc to one with 4gb ram pcs. I have to boot the VM, turn paging file on and reboot in order to run most apps. Then the next day I am back into that room I turn the paging file back off to have better speeds as the host is better equipped.
To clarify, I was thinking about altering the paging file automatically on the VM, not the host.
Perhaps a script so if the VM was booting with more than X amount of ram it would turn the paging file off automatically.
An out of the waltz one I know

Ralston18

Titan
Here is the situation: With the college being that restrictive helping you do some "work arounds" of any sort is likely to be a violation of Forum rules.

Members are not permitted to assist with any activities that might be deemed some circumvention of security rules and organizational policies. No hacking -period.

Plus it does appear that the college does not want you to use Adobe Flash and VLC Media Player. Being run in a VM on a college host does seem to me as a "circumvention".

And I do recognize that your objective is to alter the VM's paging file on the fly and not the host computer's paging file.

My recommendation:

Get together with someone on the college's IT support team. Explain what you want to and get them involved with helping you.

Maybe get some advance support for your plans via an instructor or advisor.

The end result may be beneficial to not only you but to other students and staff as well. And all absolutely above board without question.

Set up a test environment - if something goes amiss in your script and/or Powershell efforts then you will not need to worry, so much anyway, about the possible consequences of unsanctioned activities on college computers.

This thread is being closed accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.