Black screen flashing _

Sep 17, 2018
Okay so I was trying to put a new copy of windows on my pc (It's been under performing in games I know it can do better in because it used to) So I couldnt find my flash drive with windows 10 on it or a blank CD to fit it on. So I tried to follow this guide on doing it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Minn4p43aZY . Its pretty much trying to install using a partition as a usb to boot from. I did everything he does in the video but when it came time to restart. I restarted my pc and now it wont boot. not into windows or windows 10 install. just a black screen with a flasing _ I tried going in to my Bios and telling it to boot from it but its not working. Im not a pc genius. But I know my way around one and Im at complete loss right now. I've google and googled it. I found some answer to someone who sounded like they had the same problem as me but they didn't get to it in the same way. for some reason the best answer for them was to press alt f12. this is my first time ever posting here. I've gotten tons of answers from here before tho so im hoping someone here and tell me what to do. Im sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot or something. Im just looking for help.

my specs are if needed
Asus m5a 78l-m LX PLUS
Gtx 1050
Fx 3600
8g of hyper x ram
1tb hard drive

Update

I did some looking in my bios and my mother board has as Ezflash thing which lets me look at my hard drive and whats on it. My hard drive before i partition it was C: the partition i made I E: When i go look on the Ezflash I see both but my drive seem to have switched and my C: is now my E: Would this have anything to do with my issue ? Like it swapped all the content of the drives around. ( or changed the letter for each drive around)

Update

Okay so just another update to anyone who is willing to help me with this. I've tried using a windows 10 usb flash drive installer i made with rufus. sometimes when I try and boot with it. it says to insert a proper boot media or select proper boot device. and when it doesn't say that. I have the same problem with my hard drive. Just a black screen with a flashing _ I'm really at a loss please help me lol. I cant get anywhere else with is. I made it so my usb is the only thing it can boot from i get both screens. I've manually selected my flash drive and I will either one of the screen I talked about before. Is this something to do with my motherboard then? Since its doing the same thing for my flash drive as my hard drive ? Also yes I have already tired taken out my ram and putting it back in. I've tried unhooking my hard drive and seeing if it'll boot my flash drive then. Im just trying to get anywhere with this.

Another update

I've taken the hard drive out of my pc and hooked it up to my moms dell and it was unable to boot the hard drive did the same exact thing so that rules out the motherboard being the issue it that actually hard drive. I also tried to get this dell to boot the flash drive with the windows install put on it with rufus. I wouldnt boot from it either on this pc to start windows 10 install

Best update so far

I hooked up my hard drive into my moms dell with her hard drive to boot from into windows. I was able to see the 40gb partition part of my 1tb hard drive in the This pc part of windows explorer. But not the rest of it. So I got to where you format and partition the disk at and doing some looking around I was able to find the rest of my hard drive. now labeled as G: It was set to inactive which I do believe has been the root of my problem so far. I activated it in the manger and restarted the pc to try and boot this dell up with it. It no longer just show me a black screen with a flashing _ so its already a big victory in my mind. But now its saying I need to use my windows repair disc to get it back up and running. So Im going to try and set up repair files on my Flash drive and see where i can get to. I will let you guys know if Im able to fix it by doing all this in case anyone else ever runs into this issue. I would say thanks for the help but this has more so just turned into me keep logs on what Im trying. I understand tho everyone else has a life and it doesn't involve me and my pc problems lol so no hard feelings I'm pretty sure my 4 views I've gotten on this post is just me coming back to update it lol. But hopefully this will be around to help anyone else having this problem latter on down the line. If anyone else could run into it some how. I'm pretty sure this was all just cause by my incompetence on partition up a drive since I had never done it before lol.

Solution
Okay So i've fixed it and and currently writing this on my pc that was broke.
Heres a list of what I had to do to fix it
I needed to take my hard drive out of my pc and put it into another pc that could boot up
Then you must check and see if the partition with your windows on it is inactive.
After I activated it I would get past the flashing _ when booting
It then took me to a screen saying I needed to repair my windows with the recovery disk.
I just went a head and did a fresh new install of windows. after that my pc has been doing just fine.
Good luck to anyone else who has this issue
Sep 17, 2018
Okay So i've fixed it and and currently writing this on my pc that was broke.
Heres a list of what I had to do to fix it
I needed to take my hard drive out of my pc and put it into another pc that could boot up
Then you must check and see if the partition with your windows on it is inactive.
After I activated it I would get past the flashing _ when booting
It then took me to a screen saying I needed to repair my windows with the recovery disk.
I just went a head and did a fresh new install of windows. after that my pc has been doing just fine.
Good luck to anyone else who has this issue

Solution