HDMI switcher and optical audio delay issue.

Sep 18, 2018
Ok so im running the HDMI from my graphics card into a 2 way switcher before entering my monitor so that i can easily use my PS4 on the monitor. My audio is running directly from the PC to external speakers via 3.5mm jack using the built in sound card.
Before the Switcher i had no issues with audio sync but now have a very noticeable delay.

Is this just the way it is with HDMI switchers or is there a better no delay switcher i could use or alternatively someway to force a delay on the audio to allow it to sync with the video ( im assuming its the video that is delayed not the audio)

This is the switcher i am using https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079FLNWJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

All my graphics drivers are unto date.

Thank you in advance

Solution
In theory, all switches should result in a delay - as they should boost the signal being sent (essentially. There's gonna be a more technical explanation).

Not an issue when sending audio down the same HDMI 'pipe', but when using an independent audio source, the video will almost certainly be marginally behind the video signal.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot can be done if you want to continue using the switch AFAIK - even as you look to top tier switches, those are regenerating the signal (and can send down quite lengthy cables), so even the "spend more" option wouldn't work here.

Your PS4 needs HDMI, but what other options are available to you? If your GPU and monitor support DisplayPort or DVI, perhaps use that instead?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In theory, all switches should result in a delay - as they should boost the signal being sent (essentially. There's gonna be a more technical explanation).

Not an issue when sending audio down the same HDMI 'pipe', but when using an independent audio source, the video will almost certainly be marginally behind the video signal.

Unfortunately, not a whole lot can be done if you want to continue using the switch AFAIK - even as you look to top tier switches, those are regenerating the signal (and can send down quite lengthy cables), so even the "spend more" option wouldn't work here.

Your PS4 needs HDMI, but what other options are available to you? If your GPU and monitor support DisplayPort or DVI, perhaps use that instead?

Solution
Sep 18, 2018

thank you for the reply, unfortunately i was feeling especially cheap when i bought the monitor and the only inputs are HDMI, DVI and VGA i will probably just stop being lazy and unplug them when i want to switch :)