Need some of your help creating a new gaming PC!

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
Hello there!

I am going to be building my first PC soon and i would like some help from you guys as i am fairly clueless and i am running into a few conundrums. My goal is to play in 1440p.

So, firstly;

My budget is around £1000 - £1400. My current setup is rather old and i am still running a GTX770 and an i7-4820K, so anything will be a rather tremendous upgrade for me. I am also running an old 1080p/720p double monitor set up. I would like to get a new case, but its not included in the budget.

So, here are my questions;

1. Do i need a GTX 1080?

I have been considering getting a 1070 to run a 1440p/144hz but I have a feeling running the 1070 would be fairly lack-luster, as from what i've read, most modern AAA titles wouldn't be reaching the 144 mark to make getting such a nice monitor economically worth while anyway.

2. Should i be running a Ryzen 2600x or something like a 1700/1700x or even an 1800?.

Maybe i should keep my current CPU? i understand its still a decent chip but it is a little old and i dont want to overclock

3. I have been looking at two different monitors (i am open to more suggestions). Are these good value for what i am trying to achieve?

As you can tell from my monitor choices, they are 144hz. Is this a good idea or at all achievable? Maybe i should be looking for a lower refresh rate monitor? i would like it to be above 65.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWQGIUR/ref=twister_B07GX8CDNL?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 - ROG Swift 27''
or
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWQGIUR/ref=twister_B07GX8CDNL?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 - Acer Pred 27''

4. Do i need a new PSU?

I dont know the wattage but its at least 4 years old. Providing its got enough wattage, is it worth re-using or is it a bit too risky.

Many thanks for the help!
Sorry for the long read.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Does the monitor count as part of your stated budget?

Do you require a new case? Do you plan to use your old power supply and if so, what is that exact power supply?

Do you have storage that will be used in the new PC or do you require new HDD/SSD solutions? And if the latter, what storage requirements do you have?

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Hey, thanks for the reply friend. Yes the monitor is part of the budget plan. I am not planning to re-use anything and i do require a new case and PSU but the case does not need to be part of the budget plan. As for storage, i would like to get a small SSD at around 250GB just for windows and a few games maybe. A 1TB hardrive will be fine for me.

Many thanks.

Just a slight idea:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4820K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/1675vs3956

As far as you can see, your current CPU, once overclocked, can keep pace with 2600x in gaming. 2600x has more threads which help in video editing and similar stuff, but for gaming, there will be almost no percievable difference. If you have a Z97 mobo and good air cooler, you should be able to hit 4.5GHz without too much sweat.

The prime issue with your build as far as gaming is concerned is your GPU.

Getting just a 1070 on your CURRENT build would improve things immensely. Yeah, some games won't hit 144Hz unless you lower details or resolution, but that does not really matter much in practice.

I'd suggest a 1070 upgrade, then monitor of your choice, and then and only then after testing such setup decide whether you also need a full platform upgrade. You most likely won't feel the need to do so :)

Oh, hopefully you already have 16GB of RAM and SSD, though. Both are very useful to have.

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Hey mate, i appreciate the help. You make an excellent point, however, one of the main reasons i am looking to get a new PC at all is because my current CPU seems to be on its way out. Its having a hard time dealing with both of my screens now and even when i minimize google chrome, the entire PC lags as a result.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

That's likely a different issue, a CPU doesn't go "out" like that. If using becomes a slog, it's more likely another issue and if this is still the same Windows install from when it was new, you may simply be way overdue for a full OS refresh.

Your motherboard is still amazing by today's standards. This isn't your typical LGA 1050 socket. This is a LGA2011 socket. If you really needed more CPU horsepower (which you don't), you could update your existing motherboard's bios and install a used i7-6950x if you really had to.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005592/processors/intel-core-processors.html
Your absolute best option now for an upgrade is to purchase a graphics card upgrade when the 2000 series cards launch, along with a nice 144hz 1440p gsync monitor. Your existing system with that upgrade will be amazing and will buy you time to save up for your next system, because you really don't need to purchase a new computer components. Then, when it is FINALLY time to purchase a new computer with internal components, you'll already have a great monitor for the new system. That i7 4820k will run 1440p gaming very nicely, especially when you up the resolution to that level it places more load on the gpu and less on the CPU.

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Ah okay, that's interesting! I haven't re-installed anything since getting it. Maybe it would be worth while salvaging the CPU and saving some money then. Although, i have never overclocked anything before.

If you're having problems web browsing and your dual monitors, it is not from the processor. That i7 will eat whatever you throw at it.

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Thanks for the fantastic advice! Someone else mentioned keeping the CPU as well. I didnt even consider that an option as it seemed to me that the CPU was on its last legs. Ive been having some issues regarding multitasking on multiple screens. I play Black Desert Online and there is a function (if youre not already aware) where you can minimize the game 'to tray' and keep it running. My PC can no longer do that without completely freaking out and creating the most tremendous LAG. Any ideas why?

Probably not enough memory or slow hard drive, both of which are likely.

Getting an SSD will help with overall snappiness of your system tremendously. And as already pointed out, get at least 16GB of memory if you don't have this or higher amount already.

And of course, it's time to overclock :D

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Sounds like a good solution. Is there any test i can perform to see whether my CPU is all okay?

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Well i sure hope youre right. It would save me a lot of money right now. Is this CPU still good for another 3 years or so?

Bumping up resolution is more stressful for the GPU not CPU.
Driving more monitors also put more stress on the GPU than on the CPU.
Working in parallel using more monitor would need usually also more RAM, if you have at least 8GB, it should be ok. I would recommend going to 16GB.
Your I7 4820k should be still fully ok.

For 1440p gaming, 1070 is the minimum recommendation from me, get 1080ti if possible if you aim higher than 60 FPS.

Get an SSD for your OS and heavy loading games, if you still have not any. You will love this baby!

to avoid lag aside from hardware:
Keep your OS clean from viruses, malwares, adwares, etc.! Those will slow the PC down, will spy on you, etc.!
Keep your drivers up2date!
Disable unneeded start-up programs!
Clean your temp files! never make your HDD/SSD fuller than 90%!
Uninstall unneeded apps, especially those running on the background!
Checking HDD/SSD health once every other time would be good too.
etc. etc.

I don't, and it's tough to determine without physically being there. When you have the lag, take a look at the performance tab in task manager and see what's pegged. Keep it up on one of your monitors so you can constantly see it. If you have an old hard drive, it could be on it's way out or you may just need to format and re-install windows (which I would do for your new GPU and monitor combo). You could check the system and application logs in event viewer and see if you have any disk errors. If you do, then you should probably purchase a new SSD. What hard drive do you have now and how much system memory do you have?

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Yeah thats fair enough. I currently have 16GB already. Is ram a component that is easily re-usable as well or do they have a fairly specific life time? I absolutely would need it to be open at all times because i cant even move my cursor when it does lag haha.

Do you have a hard drive or a SSD? Also, do you know how to format and reload windows?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Three might be pushing it with the high settings you're looking at. Like the 3770k and 2600k, there have been enough generation-to-generation incremental changes that you're starting to see real daylight between these venerable CPUs and newer ones.

There's no need to replace or overclock that CPU and I wouldn't advise this user to do so. The best option is to upgrade his graphics card to a new 2000 series GPU and get a nice 144hz 1440p G-Sync monitor. There will be no noticeable difference to the alternative of upgrading CPU/Motherboard/Memory and doing so will be a waste of a lot of money. The noticeable difference will be what the end user can see, which will be the gsync monitor and graphics card driving it.

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

I dont have an SSD, no. Also i dont know how to reformat haha

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Right, well maybe it would be best to maybe replace it? I I do want to build something that will last me a fair while. Would it be worth selling second hand?

magicair

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018

Would something like that last for the next 3 years?

That is ok that you don't know how to reformat and it's one of the reasons why i'd advise against trying to overclock, plus it is not necessary. Here's what I would do if I were you and it's ok to not be technically inclined (that is why you're here asking us for help on the forum):
1. Go to a reputable local computer hardware store and talk to them about upgrading your computer. Tell them you are going to purchase the 144hz 1440p GSYNC monitor, 2000 series graphics card, as well as a solid-state drive and that you'd like them to upgrade the parts.
2. Ask them to make sure the power supply is adequate enough for the new 2000 series graphics card. If it isn't have them replace it.
3. Have them to back up your data and install fresh copy windows 10 onto the new solid-state drive.

Yes it will, but here's the kicker. Your going to have to way the price difference of how much it will cost to have someone upgrade all these parts for you against purchasing a whole entire new system. If you do not know how to do these things you'll have to hire some help to do it and the cost may be more than purchasing a new prebuilt system.