Internet not working after Windows 10 upgrade

Obsidius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
I'm writing this on my phone at the moment, but what happened tonight was this:

Decided to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 via Microsoft website. The process finished, no hiccups, except for the fact that once I logged into my account on my PC (desktop), the network adapter seems to have ran into a problem.

In device manager, the PCI data Acquisition and signal processing controller has a yellow exclamation mark next to it and is under "other devices". My PC is a pre-built gaming desktop, and uses only an Ethernet cord (no Wi-Fi adapter).

No internet related services work whatsoever, and whenever I try to update it, it says "windows was unable to install your x". There was also something about the USB 3 Intel driver not working when I first logged in but IDK if that's related.

Internet works fine on all other devices, and USB tethered connections from mobile also don't work.

I have tried:
Restarting
Network reset
Installing new Intel Network Adapter (connections and advanced network services) for win10 (the result of which was that no Intel Adapters are present on this computer)
Downloading and repairing: Realtek PCIE Lan adapter
and Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

PC has a MSI B150m Bazooka motherboard/i5 6500 cpu

What should I do?

Solution
OK. There are two possibilities as to the problem: either the network chip failed out of the blue coincidentally with the upgrade (very unlikely) or it's software at some level.

Windows 10 has a reset function in the Settings app which performs a re-install but gives you the option to keep your files (documents, pictures and so on). Trying this will be easier and a lot less frustrating than diving deep into Windows to troubleshoot this. You will have to re-install third-party programs and games though.

There's also the option to add a network card to the desktop like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704060&ignorebbr=1 and use that instead of the onboard network controller.

Obsidius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015

I downloaded the drivers I got from that exact website, didn't fix anything

OK. There are two possibilities as to the problem: either the network chip failed out of the blue coincidentally with the upgrade (very unlikely) or it's software at some level.

Windows 10 has a reset function in the Settings app which performs a re-install but gives you the option to keep your files (documents, pictures and so on). Trying this will be easier and a lot less frustrating than diving deep into Windows to troubleshoot this. You will have to re-install third-party programs and games though.

There's also the option to add a network card to the desktop like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704060&ignorebbr=1 and use that instead of the onboard network controller.

Solution