Monitor (BenQ XL2720) not running at 144hz despite Windows saying it is.

Sep 21, 2018
Pulling my hair out here...
I've got a BenQ ZOWIE XL2720 that should be running at 144hz (and it has before) but I can visually tell that it's only running at 60hz by moving windows around and playing various games.

I have updated all drivers for my GPU and monitor. I reset the monitor to factory defaults. I've tried different DP connections. Someone on Reddit suggested creating a custom resolution at 143hz or 145hz which worked for others but not for me.
According to Nvidia control panel and Windows display settings everything should be putting out at 144hz which is not the case.

The only time it runs at 144hz is when I use this test: https://www.testufo.com/# which is baffling. Windows won't run at 144hz but this little web based test will.

Here's the hardware I'm working with:
EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti
i7 8700k
16 GB RAM
BenQ XL2720.

I've had this problem before and it seemed to randomly fix itself but this time it won't go away. I've tried all of the obvious solutions. If anyone has any idea what I can try please say something. And ask questions if I've left something unclear. Thank you, please help.

theRTT

Honorable
Jul 25, 2016
So it's not only in games but also in windows itself? Is there a menu in the monitor itself where you can enable various presets of Hz? I assume you also tried the Windows method by going into display settings etc. Take a look in-game and set the refresh rate to 144hz in-game.

Sep 21, 2018

Yes it is not only in game but also in windows. The games are set to 144hz and according to the monitor OSD the monitor is at 144hz.