Which windows to use?

dakiskendo

Reputable
Sep 21, 2018
Hello. I am a bit confused with what OS should I use.
My specs:
Intel Pentium G4560 @3.5GHz
AMD Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR5
HyperX DDR4 4GB 2133 MHz RAM
500 GB HDD
Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit

Can you help me? I would really like to go for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit,since Windows 10 is just full of bloatware and unnecessary features.
Is there any big change in gaming/normal use performance and quality if i switch to Win7 with these components?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
I've never noticed any difference on a computer (performance wise) running Windows 7 or 10. I've got Core 2 Duo to Core i7 and HDD to SSD. There really isn't much bloat except the MS app store apps. I just remove those and disable automatic downloads from the Microsoft Store. There are annoyances and privacy concerns. I just disable everything in the privacy settings, disable notifications and use group policy to disable automatic updates. That clears up the annoyances brought on by Windows 10 pretty well.

My chief remaining complaint is Settings. MS needs to either finish off the settings app with all Control Panel options or ditch it for Control Panel. Having to go between Control Panel and Settings is annoying.
I've never noticed any difference on a computer (performance wise) running Windows 7 or 10. I've got Core 2 Duo to Core i7 and HDD to SSD. There really isn't much bloat except the MS app store apps. I just remove those and disable automatic downloads from the Microsoft Store. There are annoyances and privacy concerns. I just disable everything in the privacy settings, disable notifications and use group policy to disable automatic updates. That clears up the annoyances brought on by Windows 10 pretty well.

My chief remaining complaint is Settings. MS needs to either finish off the settings app with all Control Panel options or ditch it for Control Panel. Having to go between Control Panel and Settings is annoying.

Solution
Depends on what you are using the OS for. If you plan on gaming I'd say go with Windows 10 because DX12 and higher will only be compatible with Windows 10 and higher.

For gaming, thats pretty important.

Also nowaday Windows 10 isn't bad. While it has some extra features most of them can be turned off and as of build 1800, most come turned off be default (that for sure wasnt the case not to long ago).

I use windows 10 pro at home and after tweaking the setting, it works like a beast.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The bloatware argument is largely a moot point. All Windows versions have features that many users never use. Customizing (removal) is a matter of taste and need.

Win 10 is, arguably, the best version of Windows yet, even with its warts. Particularly in regards to security. Not perfect, no OS is.

TheStig47

Commendable
Sep 6, 2016

This may not matter to you but support for Windows 7 will end in January 2020. See here (scroll down on linked page):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

You will notice that various versions of Windows 10 also has end-of-support dates about the same time, but the big difference is that Microsoft constantly updates Windows 10. Currently, I'm running version 1803 of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, the most recent. Microsoft will be pushing out version 1809 next month and that update will have a new end-of-support date.

My point, aside from the fact that Windows 10 is very similar to 7, is that Windows 7 support will end entirely in January 2020. Windows 10 will continue to get support as long as it is the current OS.

With your computer, there wouldn't be any noticeable difference in performance while gaming or during normal use switching to Windows 7. The real question, I think, is why bother? You already have the most current version of Windows. There is nothing to be gained going to 7 and you lose Microsoft's support soon. But the decision is yours, of course. Your computer should run Windows 7 just fine.

Mustangace

Commendable
Nov 5, 2016

Someone is exaggerating here. If what you say is true then 99% of gamers would not use Windows 10 at all. Do you get stuttering? You are already running Windows 10 Pro. If you have the most current version you probably have DirectX 12. How is your gaming?

I believe games that require DirectX 11 will install that as part of the game installation. But if you have a problem with a game using DirectX12, you can change the compatibility setting in Windows 10. This link is a bit dated but the procedure is still good (I tried it up to step 3 - I don't have any incompatible apps or games so I stopped there):

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/set-compatibility-mode-windows-10

Now with your CPU and GPU, they may cause stuttering in some games, especially if the GPU graphics settings are set too high. Your CPU has 2 physical cores with hyper-threading, giving you essentially 4 processors, so it will probably work okay. See here:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Intel-Pentium-G4560/Rating/3892

However, your graphics card shows poor performance for gaming. See here:

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/8217/AMD-Radeon-R7-200

My point here is that if you see stuttering in games it will have much more to do with your GPU than with DirectX12.

[FYI: Mustangace and TheStig47 are the same people here - I just logged in with Google this time instead of Facebook. Sorry if this is confusing.]

That is normally related to those with older hardware.

DX12 is the first API in the tree to start heavily focusing on muti-threaded applications, mainly for gaming. Previous to DX12 single core power was all that mattered for gaming, now with DX12 it starts to expand to muti-core. Meaning if you have a strong single core CPU but it sucks for multi-tasking due to weak multi-core power. Then enabling DX12 to could cause performance issues.

However with newer gen hardware, and recent patches to DX, that really isnt an issue.

It is the feature of gaming and anything above DX12 will start being more and more focused to multi-core usage.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Win 10, there's no point it running 7 for a new install. Even though 7 runs much better and doesn't have all the rogue processes eating your cpu like 10 does. But like it or not, 10 is the future so you may as well get used to it now.

Sep 12, 2018
Windows 10 with classic shell (http://www.classicshell.net) you get the benefits of an up to date os without the cluster flock of a Ui that MS has decided to force upon the windows world..

Sep 12, 2018
Here is a ringing win10 endorsement..

All you need to do is replace the start menu, while you're it fix the file manager UI (classic shell) Then use Rainmeter to to customize your desktop the way YOU ( not Microsoft) want it, and there you have it, the shoulda/woulda/coulda/never was "Windows 9"..

Untitled.png

exp.png

rain.png