120 Hz panels but with different Input Lag, why?

metalhusky

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
Hi,
i want to buy a TV, to have it both as a TV and Monitor, don't even say anything, i have my reasons, like my appartment is small for example.
What ever, i want a TV with 120 Hz Native Panel and i found some of those, and then i check reviews and Tests and some of those TVs have an input lag of 12 lets say and others have 32, yet others have about 50 ms input lag, but they all are native 120 Hz TVs.
How is that possible, doesn't input lag depend on Framerate and Refrashrate?
If my PC is pushing 120 or 150 FPS out for example and the TV has a 120 Hz ref.rate. shouldnt my input lag stay the same?

Or can i just get any native 120Hz TV and have a good input lag?

Thanks.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No. Input lag is the time it takes for a command to be shown on screen. For example when you mouse click to fire a gun in a game, input lag is the time it takes for the gun to fire after you clicked the mouse button. Input lag tends to decrease the higher your framerate is, but there are many other factors that determine how much input lag you will have.

metalhusky

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015

I have a GL72M 7RDX Laptop from MSI, and i connected it to my LG TV, a pretty old one from 2013, both the Laptop screen and the TV have a refrash rate of 60Hz, i put them in Duplicate mode and was taking pictures of a stopwatch, and had a difference of about 30 ms. (On my test i turned everything off on TV btw, and went to Game Mode and switched the lable to PC)
So the FPS was the same obviously, and the refrashrate is the same, so it means either the HDMI cable is to blame ot the TV has some sort of postprocessing that slows it down, showing frames later then the laptops monitor, right?

So it doesn't matter it the TV is 120 or 60 Hz, but rather what hidden postprocessing there is built into it.
What the refresh rate does is lovering ghosting, correct?

As a side note, as you have noticed yourself, Hz is not same as FPS.
most TV's while their screen refresh rate might be 60, 120, 240 or something absurd like 400hz, do the higher refresh rates to lower the ghosting effect.
said refresh rate means it draws the screen that many times/second.
It does NOT mean that the TV will accept more than 60 frames/second, most are capped at most to 60. (your TV might be capped to input of 30Hz meaning 32ms)
on some TV's said PC/game mode input ports will skip TV's own image processing/smoothing work which will lower the delay/input lag.
on some, it only cuts out a portion of it.

Besides more indepth reviews pretty much no TV manufacturer discusses the skeleton in the closed called "input lag" for the simple reason that most of them are horrible at it. For effective purposes, 1/60Hz=16ms is pretty much all you need to get below to get it about as good as you can get. (if screen is 120Hz, it will most likely only give you less ghosting, no other real benefit.

metalhusky

Honorable
Feb 1, 2015
I know that manufacturers cheat in their commercials, use interpolation, trumotion or what ever bullshit they call it in their company. Thats why i explicitly am looking for native 120hz screens.
Which is a bit difficult, because there is not that much info on the Input Lag, there is a lot of tests from US and Canada, but the TV models don's much our TV models, here in europe, which i find is total bullshit Looking at RTINGS reviews for example doesnt bring me closer to buying a TV here in Germany, we just dont have them or maybe we du but they are called differently. There are some german Sites that do some tests but, even finding a native 120/100 Hz TV here is difficult, i am not even talking about the tested input lag...
The Visio TVs are pretty good in that regard apparently, but we dont have them here, at all.

My LG has a native 60Hz screen btw, but i suspect it just doesn't turn off all the postprocessing, there is still something going on there.

Ok, what ever, i'll keep looking, i guess, maybe i'll find a good tested TV that is available here.