[BSOD] A variety of BSOD when playing High-End Games. While rendering intense animation projects cause no BSOD.

Sep 22, 2018
Hey all!

I'm at a loss here. Tried everything; asked multiple experts and looked up about every forum post that somewhat relates to the issues I'm having.

I seem to get BSOD playing High-end Games (such as PUBG/COD Blackout) after 10 minutes of playing. Some days are better than others. Whereas sometimes I can play hours without any BSOD, but other days where it happens every 5 minutes.

I diagnosed my RAM, updated all my drivers and made sure my Windows is repaired and clean. In addition I tried playing with and without any virus scanners enabled.

The peculiar thing is that I can edit/render intensive animation projects on my PC without any problems ever. These are projects with tons of layers that take a lot of my CPU/GPU/RAM when rendering.

Any help is appreciated. Here are my specs and some of my BSOD's.

CPU: https://gyazo.com/34dd22b959680cb55b2ec827b3a0e6f7
GPU: https://gyazo.com/59d0e8649f5c347b739a16428baaaf03
Memory: https://gyazo.com/d710a28e6ba1063922f5fbac49d2ea71

Multiple BSOD examples;

On Mon 20/08/2018 10:39:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082018-16500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: fltmgr.sys (0xFFFFF80BE9469E22)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80BE9469E22, 0xFFFFC203C7CF6A40, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fltmgr.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK.

On Tue 14-8-2018 15:08:59 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081418-18781-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0xFFFF87006217B000)
Bugcheck code: 0x12B (0xFFFFFFFFC00002C4, 0xAF8, 0x7461990, 0xFFFF87006217B000)
Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a single-bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This error suggests a case of memory corruption because of a hardware problem. It is suggested you do a test on your RAM modules (memory test) and make sure your system is not getting overheated. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE

https://gyazo.com/38f09668ca9333264d622350b53ada55

On Fri 17/08/2018 10:30:10 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081718-22640-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1A8CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x12B (0xFFFFFFFFC00002C4, 0x31D, 0x4D2C9DA0, 0xFFFFE40156FA1000)
Error: FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a single-bit error was found in this page. This is a hardware memory error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This error suggests a case of memory corruption because of a hardware problem. It is suggested you do a test on your RAM modules (memory test) and make sure your system is not getting overheated. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Fri 17/08/2018 17:52:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\081718-18000-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x34E6)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x61941, 0xFFFFB08AFE1CCA58, 0x9, 0xFFFFD48170A37830)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 15/09/2018 14:09:43 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!memset+0x191CD)
Bugcheck code: 0x21 (0xFFFF970ADAC1D580, 0x2, 0xFFFFFE6F, 0xFFC2D0E8)
Error: QUOTA_UNDERFLOW
Bug check description: This indicates that quota charges have been mishandled by returning more quota to a particular block than was previously charged.

Solution
the image of windows that is being loaded into memory is being corrupted.
I can not tell why without looking at the memory dumps.

- You will want to remove any overclocking in bios and any CPU or GPU overclock drivers
- reset your bios to defaults
- boot and run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings are correct.

boot windows and run cmd.exe or powershell as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

these will attempt to repair corrupted drivers.

run a malwarebytes scan

go into control panel and turn off virtual memory so you can delete the hidden c:\pagefile.sys
reboot then turn the virtual memory back on.

-download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe and see if your drive is reporting...
the image of windows that is being loaded into memory is being corrupted.
I can not tell why without looking at the memory dumps.

- You will want to remove any overclocking in bios and any CPU or GPU overclock drivers
- reset your bios to defaults
- boot and run memtest86 to confirm your memory timings are correct.

boot windows and run cmd.exe or powershell as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

these will attempt to repair corrupted drivers.

run a malwarebytes scan

go into control panel and turn off virtual memory so you can delete the hidden c:\pagefile.sys
reboot then turn the virtual memory back on.

-download and run crystaldiskinfo.exe and see if your drive is reporting errors.

-update the BIOS and motherboard drivers if you have not done so.
- some old drivers (from windows 7) might be attempting to modify windows structures. This does not work for windows 10 since windows 10 compresses drivers in memory. Hacks tend to crash the system.

Solution