Arorus X470 or ROG STRIX B450 for new 2700X/GTX1080Ti rig.

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Hello, I would like to apologize if this has been covered already but I couldn't find anything on these motherboards compared specifically regarding my new build I'm working towards. I would like to build a new PC for work and gaming on a 1440p 144hz monitor. The 2700x/1080Ti will be at the heart of my build and I need help deciding which mid tier motherboard is better for my setup. I've read a little into Vrams(still don't know what makes good or bad Vram) and what not but I'm not sure of the overall differences between these two boards at this price point. Thank you for your help on the subject! First time posting in a forum!

Link to the build I'm thinking about:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tertmagert/saved/CYy4qs

To be honest, there is not much difference between B450 and X470 boards apart from some manufacturers slightly improving the design, on-board audio, or even upgrading the USB slots on the read IO shield.

The real difference why people go for a X470 motherboard instead of a B450 is for 2 things: Overclocking and SLI.

I have the ROG Strix B450-F because I decided that I won't be overclocking my CPU or GPU. I maybe will do it in 2-3 years when it starts to run a bit slower and the B450 motherboard supports overclocking as well. But that's the difference; it supports it. Where X470 motherboard are specifically made for overclocking your components.

With a 1080Ti you probably won't need to use SLI for a very very long time.

So it really comes down to these 2 things for you to decide if you want to add the extra 50$ (aprox.) for the features below:
1. Do you want to overclock right away?
2. Will you ever use SLI?

Hope this helps because I had this exact dilemma as you.