Transfer Windows 10 from one drive to another

Johnabcs1

Reputable
Nov 21, 2015
Hello, I am building a new computer since the one I have is dying. I really don't want to drop 90+ Dollars on a new OS, so I was wondering if I can't just transfer the OS I have to my new drive. Is this possible? If not, what can I do to save money?

Solution
In most cases, you don't need a new license.

If you have a retail key: You won't need a new key, just type in the key when you're installing Windows 10.

If you have an OEM key: You will need a new license IF you are switching to a new motherboard.

If you upgraded your old Windows version to Windows 10: You won't need a new license, install windows 10 without a key and it will activate automatically.

You can switch your Windows install between disks, using a migration tool. However this is more than a hassle and will break things if you're using a lot of new components so a fresh install would be better.

Legitimate Windows keys can also be bought for a reduced price at certain 3rd party websites.

R3PLAY

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
In most cases, you don't need a new license.

If you have a retail key: You won't need a new key, just type in the key when you're installing Windows 10.

If you have an OEM key: You will need a new license IF you are switching to a new motherboard.

If you upgraded your old Windows version to Windows 10: You won't need a new license, install windows 10 without a key and it will activate automatically.

You can switch your Windows install between disks, using a migration tool. However this is more than a hassle and will break things if you're using a lot of new components so a fresh install would be better.

Legitimate Windows keys can also be bought for a reduced price at certain 3rd party websites.

Solution