KVM (VGA to HDMI)

Sep 25, 2018
Hi Everyone, NewB here...

I am trying to connect 2 computers to 1 monitor using a KVM. Both computers are VGA and the monitor is HDMI only. My current KVM is VGA. Therefore, I bought a VGA to HDMI converter; however, nothing displays onto my monitor.

If I connect (HDMI w/VGA converter) directly to either computer, it will work. So I am thinking it is the KVM that is not compatible.

Now, I am thinking on using a HDMI switch and getting a 2nd HDMI/VGA converter.

Hoping someone with more knowledge chime in and provide some input/advice on how I can get these 2 computers connected to my monitor.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Your diagnoses is correct - it's most likely the KVM. The difficulty in this scenario, is that the VGA analog video signal needs to be actively converted to a digital video signal. My initial thought is that the KVM doesn't pass power to the VGA to HDMI converter, while the direct cable does provide power. Let's do this - please provide the make/model of the KVM and the VGA to HDMI converter. Also, what other video outputs do you have on each of the computers? With this info, maybe I can provide a solution.
Your diagnoses is correct - it's most likely the KVM. The difficulty in this scenario, is that the VGA analog video signal needs to be actively converted to a digital video signal. My initial thought is that the KVM doesn't pass power to the VGA to HDMI converter, while the direct cable does provide power. Let's do this - please provide the make/model of the KVM and the VGA to HDMI converter. Also, what other video outputs do you have on each of the computers? With this info, maybe I can provide a solution.

Solution

dcasciato

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
rsalvo - just purchased a HDMI only monitor. Did not realize and think of the inputs, it was a computer monitor right? I also have a KVM switch LinksKey LKU-S04ASK. Monitor is the LG 29WK50S... Wondering how your experience went? Should I just return the monitor? Was thinking to trying the VGA to HDMI solution but it seems you did not have much success. Thanks for reading and offering any input. Dan