What to go for, refresh rate or resolution?

Sep 26, 2018
Basically I play with a competitive esports team and I've realised that I'm the only one on a TV and that be it, an old 50". My plan is to upgrade my Xbox to an xbox one x and get a new monitor. After a lot of research I've narrowed it down to monitors with speakers, low input lag (via displaylag.com), 1 ms response time etc with good reviews and video reviews from professionals. I've looked into the xbox one x and for certain games it allows you to exceed 60hz and also gives you the ability to play on 4K. Every monitor I've come across with 144hz and 4K is just crazy money so I'm looking at the 300-400 mark for a monitor with all the relevant specs needed and then either 4K or 144hz. So my question is, what's more important? I've never played with a monitor so I don't know if the 4K brings clarity that will benefit me visually when spotting enemies (BF1) or if he frame rate/refresh rate will allow me to get that edge in speed. Also if 4K will slow the speed down. This is what I don't know so I don't know what to go for. Any help, experience or wisdom would be welcome :D

Ps. Im going for 27" or 28" depending on the choice from above

Solution
The xbox one x will upscale to 4k but isn't native. Also, your console may support 120hz but I can guarantee the video isnt pushing that many FPS
Sep 26, 2018

Sep 26, 2018
I don't know if I wrote it properly but I mean I'm going to get one or the other. So wanting to find out what's more important for console gaming on a monitor.

Ye I've looked at that but tbh my knowledge in anything 2K is non existent ha... So does an xbox one x support 2K? Might be a silly question

Sep 26, 2018
As far as what I've read from professionals, the xbox one x allows you to go beyond 60hz supporting up to 120hz. Certain games, including the game I'm playing can go beyond 60hz. That's why I'm asking what's more important because of my budget. Resolution or frame rate? For a competitive gamer

Frame rate and response time of course, resolution is just the overall quality of the pixel display and provides more detail. Then again, I didn't even notice that it was intended for an Xbox X. I'm not sure if that console can really do what you say it can but a 1080p 144hz monitor should be good enough since resolution doesn't play a part in competitive gaming. Some players even drop it to the lowest possible resolution just to gain the maximum possible performance.

Sep 26, 2018
Ah okay so higher resolution does hinder performance. Its just I've seen all these reviews about monitors with black equaliser for example that helps separate greys which allows you to see enemies in darkened areas easier. There's other function that are supposed to do the same. But then I've seen reviews where people have shown what they do and it's not actually helped a lot. Then I've seen comparisons between 4K and 1080p on BF1 and with 4K, it's easier to see other enemies. More clarity. But I'm actually not sure if that was on a bigger screen, where its more noticeable. But ye the resolution thing is massive so I'm thinking that might sway me

4K will not help you at all. In fact, it will do the opposite and will provide negative performance on your system. That said, it's all up to you and what you prefer. The size of the screen depends on the person using it and how close or far you are from it.

Sep 26, 2018
Thanks a lot for the info. It's helped me make a decision. However ive now got another question, should I just get an xbox one S instead of an X? Considering I'm not using 4K? I've just read that the S also supports 120hz at 1080p. So I have one last question... Will the xbox one x's better hardware specs effect my gaming performance? I actually can't get info on that. I've read it helps load up games quicker, reduces lag in built up areas (only if your Internet connection isn't great). But will it actually positively effect input lag or response time? I don't care about how quick a game loads or anything along those lines. Just that I'll be quicker in game

Spec-wise the Xbox X is superior but I'm not sure if there's options to modify your display settings like you mentioned.