Two windows 10 systems on two drives (one ssd one hdd)

Sep 26, 2018
I can see that this was discussed before but I don't get it.
I've tried it for the last 14hours and now it's time to go to bed.
I just hope I find a solution when I wake up again :)

It's an HP Pavilion 590 p0512ng with a 256MB SSD (M2.0)
I've also installed a 1TB Toshiba SATA drive

On my old PC I've used the SW boot-us but this seems not two work with windows 10 (used it with three windows 7 installations,).

I can install windows 10 on the SSD but once I c install a second OS on SATA drive it can't boot anymore.
The SATA drive is not visible in the BIOS/UEFI but during the installation it is.

How can can I install two windows 10 on this machine.? Is there a special boot loader I need to install after the first installation on SSD?

I want to have this config to ensure my OS is not infected when my wife downloads some crap :)

Thanks for help

Solution
I'm not sure the message that " some features are disabled when booting in UEFI" is important to your effort. The trouble is the complicated set up for EBCD. Why for example did you create a drive E ?You might search that website for better information on serving up the menu you want ( which BTW, ASUS provides on this setup by selecting the F8 key).

What you apparently have accomplished though is a true dual boot system where each drive is bootable . The boot selection is made however not on a free boot menu but by rearranging the disk order in UEFI setup. A minor extra step.

I suggest imaging (using Macrium Reflect) the most current configuration, including recent windows updates , likely the sata drive, to the 1TB and keep the...

USAFRet

Titan
Having a second OS is no guarantee at all.
In the case of a virus, any connected drive is vulnerable.

A true backup solution is what you want.

But if you must, easy.
Install one OS on one drive, with only that drive connected.
Disconnect, and connect the other drive.
Do the install on that drive.

Reconnect both drives.

At boot time, select which drive you wish to boot into.

But this will not give you the safety you desire.

Back ups are a good way to defend against damage from viruses but not guaranteed. Viruses are programs and backups don't typically include programs, just the user's unique files. While its unlikely, a data file can contain malware.Whenever restoring from a backup after being infected, it's generally recommended to do a virus scan because there is potential for restoring malware.

The key is not whether to have multiple drives or a constant back up system, but to practice safe computing.You might consider educating your spouse in good practices. These are easy steps to take and reduce the chances of infection to low levels: keep the OS patched, install anti malware software that runs at start up, control access to the machine and most important, ignore unsolicited email, especially all attachments, links and forms in emails that come from people you don't know.

Sep 26, 2018
@USAFRet: I was able to install two W10 OS now.
One is on the SSD and one on HDD.
The SSD was unplugged when I installed on HDD.
The thing is that I don't get a boot loader to select which windows to boot.
It always comes up with the top listed drive from the BIOS/UEFI setup. If I change the order in BIOS I can boot the other OS.

Sep 26, 2018
Ok, disable fast boot didn't help.
I used EeasyBCD now. When the SW starts I get a popup saying that the system is starting in EFI mode. Some of the features have been disabled.
I made a new entry and selected drive E:.
After reboot I got the boot manager with two entries but when I tried to boot the new created entry I got the recovery screen saying that a file is missing or faulty. winload.efi 0xc000000e.
Starting from the other works fine.

I think the whole trouble has something to do with the UEFI setup.
https://imgur.com/gallery/QBrv1oY

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I would not recommend doing this. Put on one drive and just backup. I cloned my SSD and left both drives hooked up, it booted fine, but I had issues later that I believe were tied to Windows on both of them

I'm not sure the message that " some features are disabled when booting in UEFI" is important to your effort. The trouble is the complicated set up for EBCD. Why for example did you create a drive E ?You might search that website for better information on serving up the menu you want ( which BTW, ASUS provides on this setup by selecting the F8 key).

What you apparently have accomplished though is a true dual boot system where each drive is bootable . The boot selection is made however not on a free boot menu but by rearranging the disk order in UEFI setup. A minor extra step.

I suggest imaging (using Macrium Reflect) the most current configuration, including recent windows updates , likely the sata drive, to the 1TB and keep the image refreshed for the times your family screws the pooch, burns the registry or welcomes a virus.

Solution