New HDD does not boot into windows 10

Sep 27, 2018
Installed windows 10 on my new hdd and my previous windows are in SSD, I tried to disconnect my SSD and connect my new HDD with windows on and my old HDD together to transfer all my personal files to the new HDD but it does not boot into windows, it says I need to select a proper boot device, how do I fix it, big thanks in advance? :)

Solution
Yeah, the new drive didn't get the boot manager.

Disconnect the old drive, and reinstall the OS to the new drive (as the only drive attached).

That'll fix the issue

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Did you clean install on the HDD, or clone the SSD?

If a clone, did you clone all partitions (including the boot manager?)
If you clean installed, did you disconnect the secondary drive? If not, the boot manager may have ended up on one drive, with the actual OS/'c'' drive aspect on another.

Out of curiosity, why are you installing Windows to and HDD, when you have an SSD?

Sep 27, 2018
Well i used this tool ''Create Windows 10 installation media'' so i believe it was cloning. I downloaded windows into my USB stick and at that time there was three devices connected to my pc, SSD(windows), new HDD and my USB stick. I installed windows through the BIOS by selecting USB stick as a primary boot device, and further in the installation i formatted the new HDD and then selected my new HDD as where i wanted to install the windows.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That's not cloning, that's a clean install.

But, because the SSD was still installed, you may have ended up with the boot manager on there - and the actual "C" drive on the HDD.

Please boot from your SSD (with the HDD connected) and post a screenshot of disk management within Windows.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A clean install, onto the new drive and transferring your bulk files over would be the 'best' way to do it, yes.

Easier routes might be cloning the entire drive, but that takes everything. It's a 1:1 clone. You take the good, the bad & the ugly (including registry errors etc).