What are rebates?

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
About to order my components for my first gaming buid. However, I've noticed two of them have rebates.

I did do some research on my own and I just don't believe in it. The idea of having to fill out a form with information and in some cases "cutting out your part serial number" in order to verify. Its just seems like a scam.

I would like to know what are people's opinions/experience on rebates. Is it really mandatory to get the rebate?

Solution
It is not required to get any rebates. If you don't believe the time or effort involved is worth the value of the rebate then don't do it.
It is a way for vendors to advertise a lower price, but not sell at that price. If you choose to, or mess up the filing of, or forget about the rebate then the manufacturer keeps the money.
Is it a scam? not in the most literal sense. If you follow the rules of the rebate they will send you money. But they make it inconvenient enough that many people don't.

kanewolf

Titan
It is not required to get any rebates. If you don't believe the time or effort involved is worth the value of the rebate then don't do it.
It is a way for vendors to advertise a lower price, but not sell at that price. If you choose to, or mess up the filing of, or forget about the rebate then the manufacturer keeps the money.
Is it a scam? not in the most literal sense. If you follow the rules of the rebate they will send you money. But they make it inconvenient enough that many people don't.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I dislike mail in rebates. With the heat of a thousand suns.

Advertised at $90. ($10 MIR)
So I have to give a billion dollar company the full $100, and then jump through a bunch of hoops, and I'll probably get that $10 back in 3 or 4 months. When I've completely forgotten what the original item was...
Basically, loaning them $10 for 3 months.

They get the interest on 90 days x $10 x 10,000 items, and they get to keep the $10 for all the people who forgot to jump through those hoops.

If you can afford to sell me the thing at $90...then Do That.

But, it is an effective marketing tool. If it wasn't, they wouldn't do it.

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

Thank you, that pretty much answer my question.

Noor_awsome

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017

I just believe there isn't much information about it. I don't see a lot of videos talking about rebates when building a gaming desktop.

USAFRet

Titan

Rebates exist across the whole retail space. Not just computer parts.
Cars, blenders, TV's...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If there was a price where such a rebate made it notably less than other sellers, then I'd do it.

Yes, it's annoying, but it's only a few minutes of my time to save whatever amount it is.

I believe the intent is generally to sell more, and hope that maybe a significant number of the buyers don't bother to do the rebate. I could be wrong.

I generally avoid MIR items, but my PSU had a 30 dollar rebate when I got it, it did take about 12 week to finally get it, but 30 back on 70 was a big deal back then.
I just got 50 dollars back when I ordered my contacts, but that was one I filled out online and got sent a prepaid visa which only took a week.
I also submitted a second one that I was supposed to, for 30 dollars, have yet to see it. (bought july 10th)

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
One thing that i hate about MIR is that the second you cut out the bar code on the product box, you void the usual 30-day return warranty from the merchant you bought it. I contacted newegg about it a few years ago because i was reluctant to cut it out, and they confirmed they won't honor thier 30-day exchange period if the bar code was not present and intact on the box.