Building new Pc - Can i keep any of these old parts?

chris96993

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Im just a hardware noob, not sure how often you should change parts. I built my pc exactly 4 years ago, i just wanted something a little more powerful with a budget around $1000.
Current Setup: (prices from 2014)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($188.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $707

I need a pc that can handle Fortnite honestly, i play it competitively and won't really play any other games. Currently I can run it at around 120 fps max.

Question: If i build a new pc with my budget, will it be a noticeable upgrade? And should i exchange all parts or does it make sense to keep any of the old ones?

I dont really have many issues with my pc other than it got a little slower. The main one is i sometimes hear a metalic clinking noise coming from the battery, as if you were to to hold needle and let a metal fan keep smacking it. This noise comes and goes every so often, tilting my pc in certain directions stops it but still im not sure the source of it.

Thanks guys! Any and all advice is appreciated greatly

PS. a friend wants to buy this pc from me, is $300 a fair price?

Dugimodo

Distinguished
the noise sounds like you are describing a wire rubbing on a fan, probably should check that out.

The hard drive, PSU, and optical drive are all re usable although personally I'd still add an SSD boot drive as well just because it improves the whole PC experience.

What you could do is upgrade the graphics card and add a boot SSD, might make your existing PC feel like a new one. And if it doesn't you can still use those parts when you do build a new one.

Lower your graphics settings as low as they will go and see what frame rate you can get - just to get an Idea of what the CPU is capable of to see if it's worth replacing, might be you just have a graphics bottleneck, or it could be the CPU.