Windows 10 on ssd and hdd. Ssd locked out, hdd version isn't what I wanted.

Sep 27, 2018
My custom computer with Windows 10 wouldn't update to 1803, from 1607. Tried several things, but ended up having Microsoft Support remote access the computer to manually update it. The ssd was solely for the OS. Hdd was for mass storage. Microsoft Support ended up installing the latest version on my hdd, so now I have 2 boot options. The ssd boot is locked out because of a profile loading error. The hdd boot doesnt recognize my wireless adapter, which is my primary internet source.
I have a laptop to do a flash recovery, but I dont have a flash drive large enough. I DO have a USB external hdd. Can I use the external hdd to do these repairs? The external hdd is blank. I also dont want to lose any of my internal data during this repair. Microsoft Support was adamant that I use a flash drive, not the external hdd, but they've already screwed the pooch on this, so I'm not sure what to believe.

Solution
for the wifi issue google the model of the unit and the word driver to get the driver from a working pc and then install it on your pc. on the damaged windows on the ssd. your better off making a new bottable usb stick using windows media creation tool. boot from the hard drive windows and then move any files you want to keep. once that done boot from the usb stick go into advance mode of the usb stick and remove all of the partions from the ssd and reinstall windows. when you do the reinstall unplug the power or data cable from the hard drive so windows only sees the ssd.
on your pc post the mb maker and model. if you can from another pc try updating the bios of the mb see if it fixes the issue of no post of the ssd. if the ssd wont boot use a usb stick and install the drivers that are missing (chjipset and network) get he hard drive windows 10 to boot and updated. then move your data off the ssd onto the hard drive. then try running a firmware update on the ssd if it a n intel or samsung unit. on your mb also make sure it has the newest mei firmware. if it an intel mb.

Sep 27, 2018
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk z270
SSD: PNY 256gb
I have access to the bios. The lockout is only on the SSD side of windows.
Once the computer starts up, I get an option to boot windows volume 2 or volume 6. Volume 2 is the HDD version, volume 6 is the SSD.
If I choose volume 6, I get to the user selection/loading screen. There, I get an error saying theres a profile loading error, and goes back to the fancy picture background and clock. I have the option to shut down or restart from there.
If I choose volume 2, it boots as normal, but my wireless adapter isn't found, even in device manager or the hardware search tool, whatever that's called. The Windows version in the HDD is the most current, but it isn't where I want it installed.

I hope that helps.

for the wifi issue google the model of the unit and the word driver to get the driver from a working pc and then install it on your pc. on the damaged windows on the ssd. your better off making a new bottable usb stick using windows media creation tool. boot from the hard drive windows and then move any files you want to keep. once that done boot from the usb stick go into advance mode of the usb stick and remove all of the partions from the ssd and reinstall windows. when you do the reinstall unplug the power or data cable from the hard drive so windows only sees the ssd.

Solution