Windows 10 startup is slow with an ssd

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018
so windows 10 is starting up a bit slow for me, what should I do? I've tried stuff like disabling unnecessary applications on startup and putting power options on high performance but that did nothing. Also after windows 10 boots up and I'm on the lock screen its takes forever until I can actually type my password in. Heres what I mean: https://imgur.com/a/LdxHm1L

skitszo

Honorable
spec of your system.

do you have duel graphics mode? onboard and gpu unit?

I've experienced this as a driver issue with older PC's with conflicts and unsupported windows 10 coming from windows 7 PC.

check drivers for your PC... get the latest or revert back to older ones. latest greatest isn't always helpful.

There are lots of things that you can try Make sure that the system drive is at the top of the boot priority list. Clearing all but the essential applications from the start on start up list of applications.

You are already using an SSD, but you optimize that drive. You can cleanup the system drive so there is more unused space.

You can reassess the RAM capacity and frequency.. You can overclock the CPU.

And you can do a fresh install of the operating system.

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

How do i make sure that my boot priority is correct?

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

i have an i7-8700k with a 1080ti sc2 and 16 gigs of ram. Im 99.9% sure i dont have dual graphics mode, mostly because i have no idea what that is.

In the BIOS (and it varies between manufacturer) , you select the drives on the boot priority list. Then you arrange the drives on the list in the order that you want the BIOS to look for your operating system.

If you are installing the operating system for example you may want it to look at the DVD drive first. But after it is installed, then remove the installation disc. The BIOS will first look for the OS on the DVD. If it doesn't find it, then it moves to the next drive on the list. Normally that is your system drive.

But that takes extra time at the start up. So move the System Drive (usually c: ) to the top of the Boot Priority List. That way the BIOS doesn't waste time looking for the operating system on any drive other than the system drive.

I think what he is referring to is Multi-monitor. Some motherboards have the feature that (when enabled) you can connect monitor to the motherboard video out and connect a monitor to the graphics card video out. That allows you to display one application on the first monitor and another application on the second monitor.

It is used more on business PC's rather than personal computers.

chensonnyy

Commendable
Jul 21, 2018

I'm pretty sure I have drive c on the top of the boot priority disk, let me check, ill link a picture of my bios. And yeah, I don't have multi-monitors.
https://imgur.com/OQ47fmG