Unstable Wifi / Cable internet after re-installing and updating windows 10

reclus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi everyone,

The problem all started when it freezes everytime when I tried to login to windows 10. It either freezed right at the login screen, in which I can’t even type, or it freezed right after I log into windows.

So I decided to check windows update and see if there’s any fix, no luck.

Then I guess the ultimate solution would be reinstalling windows, so i did. It did fixed the freezing problem, but then more problems came...

Now everytime when I login to windows, I have a very unstable internet. The internet either doesn’t work at all, or only works for a while. Sometimes I can go to a few website, but after a few clicks, it is disconnected. Thing is, the Wi-Fi is still shown as ‘connected’ so I really have no clue when will or when did it drop.
And then I tried to log in to steam, the gaming platform, I can log in, but I couldn’t see what’s on the store / community. As far as I understand, if the internet is disconnected, I won’t be able to log in to steam at all.

I can still start my game (Monster Hunter World) and it works fine, I could actually go on to online session most of the time. And then the internet would work fine for a while (web broser’s working, I can go to websites etc). However it will only stay online for a while and it would drop again. Weird thing is, my online gaming session didn’t drop...

I’m using a Netgear A6210 wireless Wi-Fi adaptor. I’ve already updated the driver for the adaptor to the latest version.

I’ve also tried to use a cable to connect, but the same problems happen.

The Wi-Fi works perfectly fine with phones, laptops etc

My motherboard is a 5 years old Asus P8Z77-V Pro, not sure if there’s anything to do with the M.board.

Hope this is not too messy but it’s been quite a frustrating experience. Appreciate your attention!

(P.S. As a matter of fact I can’t login to this forum with my PC, I’m typing this thread on my phone right now.)

Solution
the real solution is here if none of the above works....in WIndows 10 there is this "Radios" feature that Windows 10 or apps has control over your Wifi driver or feature, and most of the time if your computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation and suddenly your WiFi card goes missing, blame it on the NEW WINDOWS 10 PRIVACY of RADIO CONTROL IS THE CULPRIT. I faced this problem and went through a lot of websites and none of the solutions provided by them works. In the end, i found this RADIOS feature inside Windows 10 Privacy settings as I was looking to disable other privacy feature, but was surprised to see this in the Privacy settings. After this was set to OFF or Disabled....my WiFi driver works wonderfully and I do not have to...

schwatzz

Distinguished
Are you sure the correct driver is being used? Windows sometimes can download or use a generic driver for network adapters. If you are sure you are using the right settings, try turning off all the "internet speed boosters" in the network adapters, particularly along the lines of "green ethernet"

reclus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks, I've tried that but it doesn't help.

reclus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks.
I've upgrade every driver I could find (by using driver easy) yet the problem is still there.

I've even swapped to another router, so I think it's not the router problem
Called the internet service provider, see if they could spot anything wrong from their end.

Oct 12, 2018
the real solution is here if none of the above works....in WIndows 10 there is this "Radios" feature that Windows 10 or apps has control over your Wifi driver or feature, and most of the time if your computer wakes up from sleep or hibernation and suddenly your WiFi card goes missing, blame it on the NEW WINDOWS 10 PRIVACY of RADIO CONTROL IS THE CULPRIT. I faced this problem and went through a lot of websites and none of the solutions provided by them works. In the end, i found this RADIOS feature inside Windows 10 Privacy settings as I was looking to disable other privacy feature, but was surprised to see this in the Privacy settings. After this was set to OFF or Disabled....my WiFi driver works wonderfully and I do not have to restart my computer to get the WiFi to work. Other than that, some BIOS do have this "Allow OS to control WiFi driver"....Disable it!

Solution