Asus ROG Swift PG279Q Monitor 144Hz/165Hz Issue

Sep 29, 2018
Hi,

My new Asus monitor arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. It seems to be in working condition, but I cannot get it to display anything higher than 85 Hz. I have been all over the Internet and I have not found any fix for this problem.

There seem to be some small bugs, and I am wondering if the monitor is simply defective. I sometimes log in to my computer and my Hz has gone from 85 to 24. I often don't have an option in Windows settings or in Nvidia settings to go to a higher setting. After messing around with the overclock settings and turning them off, options for up to 144Hz will appear. However, whenever I select 144Hz in the Windows settings and select that I want to keep the display changes and then close the window to go change the Nvidia settings to 144Hz, not only will the Nvidia settings not offer an option above 85Hz, but when I check the monitor's Hz readout and the Windows settings, the changes I just made in Windows settings seem to be reverted.

Here are the various things I have tried so far:

- Updated drivers for both the monitor and my GTX 1080
- Messed with all of the monitor's built-in settings
- Reset all the monitor's settings
- Attempted to change the adapter mode (which also changes the Hz, but it just does the same thing and doesn't actually apply the change when it says it does)
- Used 3 different DP cables (current one is a DisplayPort 1.4 HBR3)
- Plugging both the monitor and my computer directly into the wall (I read somewhere that this might work, it didn't)
- Unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in after awhile (helps with the 24Hz problem, but my 144Hz settings still don't save)
- Used various resolutions
- Messed with GSync
- Messed with VSync
- Messed with various Nvidia settings
- Various other things people have tried

I have spent 6 hours all over the internet trying to fix this. I am not super tech savvy, so some of the suggested solutions have taken me awhile to test out. I feel like there is some small thing I am doing wrong or I didn't finish doing something, or the cable is wrong. I have read that certain cables (DP 1.2 or less I think) are capped at 1440p and 85Hz, but shouldn't the DP 1.4 be plenty for 1440p and 144Hz/165Hz?

I really would like to not have to return this monitor because I really like the picture quality. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would greatly appreciate any help at this point.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I plugged my monitor in > I turned on the computer > I installed the GPU drivers for my 1080ti > I went to Nvidia Control Panel > I turned on G-Sync > I set the refresh rate to 165Hz.

That was it.

If your monitor isn't doing that, its not working properly. There shouldn't be anything else required.
Sep 29, 2018

That's likely what I am going to end up doing, but I really feel like there must just be some setting holding it back at 85Hz. Can you think of anything that you had to change on your monitor in the Windows settings or Nvidia settings to get it to work? What were the different steps you took in order to set yours up?

Kashimi

Honorable
Apr 14, 2015
I plugged my monitor in > I turned on the computer > I installed the GPU drivers for my 1080ti > I went to Nvidia Control Panel > I turned on G-Sync > I set the refresh rate to 165Hz.

That was it.

If your monitor isn't doing that, its not working properly. There shouldn't be anything else required.

Solution
Sep 29, 2018

Alright, thanks, I am going to be sending it back. I am having some issues with a flickering screen now too, just going to find a different monitor. Appreciate your help!