Activate Windows 10 with key?

Cereal77

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
I have a new pc and would like to activate windows but it wont let me use my old key because i do not have the same hardware there a way round this? I have also tried signing into my MS account.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

What was the source of the old key? While Microsoft has loosened some of the restrictions about OEM keys since the Anniversary Update, if the old Windows 10 key was from a prebuilt that came with Windows 10, you can easily run into issues.

If you talked to Microsoft already, it would be helpful to know what they said to you other than "she didn't help."

Cereal77

Commendable
Dec 2, 2016
No, can't remember what the software was called but it showed me my key. And I still have it but because windows 10 runs off motherboard I think it won't let me.

If you buy a new key you just input it.
The issue I believe you are having is that win7 key you have is no longer valid. On an upgrade from 7 to 10 your key also gets updated, and you have to make sure you register this key to your MS account before any hardware changes, it does not do so automatically.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you still have the old PC?

Was windows 10 on old PC linked to an email address? If it was linked to an old email address, go here - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and login to that email address. Look on the devices tab and click manage. Is your old PC listed here?

If so, on new PC choose to link account under settings/update & security/activation, add account - this should allow you to move license onto new PC. It can only be on one PC at a time so this will deactivate it on old PC.

Licenses can be linked to email addresses now to make them easier to move from one PC to another. If you have been using an account linked to an email address, its likely auto linked to your license now. If you didn't, then the licence likely still tied to the hardware of old PC. If you have old PC still, its pretty easy to link accounts. See link below

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change