Installing Windows 10 and Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi folks,

I have a laptop which came with Windows 10 pre-installed (and I presume the license key stored on the motherboard).

I was thinking about installing Windows 7 and was wondering if this would cause any issues with the Windows 10 license (and installation). Would the Windows 7 license key also be stored on the motherboard if I install Windows 7 from disc? Could this cause conflict with the WIndows 10 license key?

Many thanks, D

Solution
does laptop have win 7 drivers? check that 1st before trying to install it on laptop. does it have USB 2 slots? another fun thing since win 7 doesn't know what USB 3 is until its installed.

You would need to install win 7 first and then install win 10, going the other way breaks the boot partition of win 10. Win 7 was made at a time win 10 didn't exist, so if you install it, it will overwrite the win 10 boot details.

If you have logged into win 10 and its activated now, you can always reactivate win 10 on that PC again. Look in settings/update & security/activation
if it says Windows is activated with a digital license then your license is tied to motherboard
If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
does laptop have win 7 drivers? check that 1st before trying to install it on laptop. does it have USB 2 slots? another fun thing since win 7 doesn't know what USB 3 is until its installed.

You would need to install win 7 first and then install win 10, going the other way breaks the boot partition of win 10. Win 7 was made at a time win 10 didn't exist, so if you install it, it will overwrite the win 10 boot details.

If you have logged into win 10 and its activated now, you can always reactivate win 10 on that PC again. Look in settings/update & security/activation
if it says Windows is activated with a digital license then your license is tied to motherboard
If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account it is tired to the current user.

Its most likely to say 1st given its a laptop that had win 10 preinstalled on it.

When you go to install win 10 and get to license screen, you click "I don't have a license" link and win 10 would continue to install and reactivate itself once it contacts the server that stores licensing details.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming you have win7 drivers available to work with the laptop.

To dual boot

All you would do is remove your current drive, put in the new drive and install win7 to it. Then after win7 is installed put back win10 drive, then at post boot it should ask which os to boot from.

But, getting win7 to install might be a hassle as it doesn't have native usb3 support which you can mount usb3 drivers to following guides. If you have an optical disc to install from, that'll work.

If no drivers are available for Win7, your laptop wont function properly. Win10 would have drivers already within itself being obviously newer but win7 would be quite naked.

Regarding win7 activation, its done by serial and has no effect on hardware and won't interfere how win10 registers hardware. Both OS are separate.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks for your reply, Colif.

I'm not sure what to do about drivers for Windows 7 (only Windows 10 drivers are available on the Asus website)... any ideas?

Yes, there is one USB 2 slot available.

Windows is activated with a digital license (not MS account)... I believe it activated automatically the first time I connected my laptop to the Internet.

If I have Windows 7 Pro (Full) on CD, would I then enter the license key from the box and where would the computer store this? Is it stored in the same way that the Windows 10 license key was on the motherboard (already there when I bought the laptop)?

Thanks, D

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Boju

Do you have any suggestions for Win7 drivers for my Asus laptop? (Only Win10 drivers are available on the Asus website).

How is the Win7 license key stored once activated? I already have WIn10 license key stored on the motherboard (there when I bought the laptop).

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If there are no Win7 drivers available theres nothing you can do. Just hope Win7 recognise devices (especially Lan drivers) on it's own which i highly doubt being an aging os.

Windows 10 activates online giving MS servers your motherboard ID. Windows 7 is similar but not the same since you need to activate online all the same but you still need to enter a serial each time installing Windows 7 unlike Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you plan on putting win 7 on laptop still, I would use a new hdd. Main reason is if it fails to work due to lack of drivers, you can still put the win 10 drive back in and use it. NO drivers could mean hardware won't work right, or at all.. depends on if there are generic Win 7 drivers that match the hardware.

why do you want win 7? win 10 is fairly compatible with almost all win 7 software now

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks Colif.

I wonder if the Windows 8 and Windows 10 drivers on the Asus website might work with Windows 7? Likely/unlikely?

I find that Win10 has a lot of issues with privacy and such... hopefully better in Win7.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks boju, interesting to know how it works with the license activation.

USAFRet

Titan

Colif

Win 11 Master

Its unlikely that win 8 drivers will work with win 7. As above shows, 7 isn't much better than 10 in the privacy stakes so I would just stay on Win 10 and avoid messing up your current windows.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks USAFRet

I read those articles (the first one seemed the most accurate/useful)... and it sounded like you could block the updates with the telemetry in Windows 7 anyway? So do you think there is the same level of tracking/spying in Windows 7 as in Windows 10?

My friend said to me that if I have dual-boot Linux with Windows 10, that Windows 10 would still be able to spy on and collect my data in the drive with Linux installed (I plan to have two SSD drives in the same laptop). Could this be true?

Is there any way I can get the best of both worlds... the compatibility (i.e. drivers and software working) of Windows 10 with the privacy and protection of Linux (and it's various distros)? What options do I have both in terms of software (i.e. which OS versions might be best) and hardware (e.g. does having separate HDD/SSDs help with privacy)?

Any guidance much appreciated!
D

USAFRet

Titan
1. In a little over a year, all support for Win 7 goes away.

2. Win 10 (or 7 or whichever) doesn't "read your data" and send it to microsoft. It's not trolling through all your files, sending them the choice bits.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2971725/windows/how-to-reclaim-your-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

3. Separate drives makes no difference.

When you install Win 10, create and use local accounts. Not Microsoft accounts. In a couple of places during the install, that option is not readily apparent. But it is there.
The telemetry, and targeted ads, and sharing settings across systems...that all happens in the context of logging in with an MS account and using that in everyday operations.
Don't do that.

It's fine to have an MS account, and use it to register that OS license.
And then do use it again until you need to transfer that license to other hardware.Nothing requires you to actually use it all the time.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks USAFRet

When you mention support for Win7, is that MS updates to Win7? I guess most software will still run on Win7 for some years?

How do you know Win10 / MS is not capturing personal data? Is there no potential for this? How comes separate drives make no difference?

I always use Win10 with a local account. However, I do use Hotmail and Skype (both MS products of course), so is using those services the same/as bad as logging into Win10 with a MS account?

What would you suggest overall as a good strategy and setup for privacy and compatibility? Would it be wise to use Linux (Mint perhaps) *and* Win10 on the same laptop (dual-boot, on separate SSD drives)?

Thanks again for all your great guidance.
D

USAFRet

Titan

No more support, as in no further updates. Security or otherwise. Ripe for whatever nasty stuff comes down the road later.
Yes, it will still run. It's not like any system with Win 7 will just stop.

"capturing personal data". To what end? They don't care about your kids homework, or your moms beef stew recipe.
They would like things like location, contact list, search strings and results...that is the "data" they're trying to scoop up. They don't care about your funny cat videos.

And if you're using Hotmail, all your email goes through MS anyway. To be read and analyzed for targeted ads.
No better or worse than gmail.
Skype? Between that and hotmail, there's your contact list you gave them.

Given that, there is no difference between Win 7 and Win 10. You've given them the stuff anyway.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

Thanks USAFRet

So moving forward, what would you suggest overall as a good strategy and setup for privacy and compatibility?

Would it be wise to use Linux (Mint perhaps?) *and* Win10 on the same laptop (dual-boot, on separate SSD drives)? Perhaps I could use Win10 only for productivity, and Linux for personal usage (web browsing etc)?

What do you think about blocking updates to Win7/10 to keep the system at a certain build (where some questionable features are not included)?

Thanks again, D

USAFRet

Titan

Blocking updates is precisely the wrong thing to do. Those generally contain security updates, not just frou frou features.
Remeber the WannaCry malware a couple of years ago? The vast majority of affected systems were the Unpatched. Either on purpose or by accident.
And Microsoft released a patch for that 2 months before it was seen in the wild. Ignore that, and your system was vulnerable.

There is a small but vocal group who demand "no patches, ever!"

Personally, I don't have an issue with Win 10.
There are far worse data leaks that you probably use every day.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only way to be secure is use a typewriter and don't mail any of your letters, hand delivery only viable choice and then ink that fades if they don't read it in time... lead lined building might help too. And stay away from any friends with mobile phones as the cameras are always live and track people around them. Only way to escape is build a cabin in the woods and not allow any technology in house that was made past 1950.

Gets to point you realize you being tracked all day, Windows is the bottom of chain when it comes to being tracked. Everyone happily carries a phone around with them. GPS tracking everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.