High latency (ping to game servers) on PC but not laptop with same ethernet cable.

Oct 2, 2018
I've got a desktop PC and a laptop. When I connect to a game server on my desktop I get upwards of 100-120ms ping.
If I take out the ethernet cable and plug it into my laptop, I can play on the same game server at about 30-40ms ping.

The only thing I can think of is the network card in the motherboard is faulty or something, but I'm really hoping someone has another suggestion that doesn't involve me dropping a hundred quid on a new board.

Have already tried re-installing windows. Any other suggestions would be really helpful!

Oct 2, 2018

I don't have an antivirus on.
Also, I purchased a PCI Network adapter as per a friends recommendation and am still having the same problem.

ping another server from both devices, and see if you get the same difference.
if yes, do a traceroute, see if you have a proxy set up on your computer.

(open a cmd window and type "tracert google.com") - if you see more hops on the PC, then you might be using a proxy that's lagging your connection

Oct 2, 2018

Same number of routes, but I did it three times on each device. One of the three times on the PC it was pinging a particular server at 1000+ ms. On the laptop everything was normal at around 25-30ms.