Buying advice for 5- or 8-port switch

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018
I currently have a Netgear R7000 router on my home network. I am expanding this home network by adding an old Netgear N750 router via ethernet cable. I would like to connect my television, AVR, Xbox, and a PC that is located in a family room to the wired network. Hence, my question about a switch and what I should buy.

Initially I was focusing on 5-port switches so I could attach 4 devices, but leaves no room for expansion, so an 8-port switch came into view and, at least for other Netgear consumer-grade products, the price differences seems marginal.

Specifically, I have been looking at Netgear simply to keep the consistency in brand between the routers and a new switch. I don't think brand should matter (correct me if I am wrong, but these seem like plug and play devices), so I am open to d-link, tplink, etc. But, I am budget-oriented...I'd love to stay under $30, but am willing to go up if that buys me significantly improved reliability and a better warranty than say 2 years.

Appreciate any insight and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Yep, as long as it is an "un-mananged switch", it will be plug and play. You can get a managed switch if you want to play with VLAN's or POE features but sounds like it would be an unnecessary cost.

Switches are usually pretty foolproof purchases as long as you buy from a well-known brand and is gigabit. I would go for this but go with whatever you can find:
- https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG108/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538548754&sr=8-1&keywords=8+port+switch

EDIT: The device I listed comes with a 2yr warranty

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018

Which specific model do you have?

I have the one below. It is the Netgrear Prosafe 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS108) .

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12K-008X-00026&cm_re=netgear_switch-_-12K-008X-00026-_-Product

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018

Thanks. I am looking at the FS108 since it's on sale for $30.

Do you think it makes a difference if the Ethernet ports are metal and shielded?

It would provide a bit more protection than plastic. It would also to be shielded from interference. it would also dissipate heat better than plastic (my opinion).

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018

Yep, just saw that...now Im looking at the TP-Link referred to above.

I got the cheapest 8-port tp-link, it was that or the Netgear, but I picked the tp-link because it got green(1000mbit)/amber(10/100) at-a-glance indicators, can't tell whether plastic or metal, but sucks ~4 watts, and it's been plugged in for 6 months.

jonmakela00

Honorable
Feb 14, 2018

I bought the TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch | Ethernet Splitter | Sturdy Metal w/Shielded Ports |Plug-and-Play | Traffic Optimization | Unmanaged (TL-SG108) from Amazon. Wonder if thats the newer model.

TRENDING THREADS