Migrate everything to new drive while booting to same drive

Oct 5, 2018
How do I migrate all of my stuff to a new drive? (Windows 10)

How would I transfer all of my old programs and registry to a new drive?

I know program files are linked to the registry so I can't just copy paste them. Also I've been tweaking my registry for a few years now and don't want to lose my settings.

How would I move them to a new drive without reinstalling everything by hand?

I've already tried cloning my old drive but something went wrong and I can only boot from the new drive now.

Solution

I think you may have somehow screwed the pooch here.
About all you can do is try the Repair function with a Win 10 install USB.

Do this with ONLY the original drive connected.
If you can get it running with the old drive, we can maybe explore cloning again.

Otherwise, you're left with a clean install on the new SSD.
Oct 5, 2018
@USAFRet

1. My old drive is a 500GB m.2 SATA drive by liteon. My new drive is a 1TB m.2 SATA by Samsung (860 Evo)

2. When I cloned my drive the first time, i booted into the new 1tb drive but windows' disk manager program as well as any other drive partitioning software were unable to detect the unallocated space on my 1tb drive.

I thought I would try a different cloning software this time so I wiped the 1tb drive but found that I couldn't boot into my old drive now with error code 0xc0000225.

USAFRet

Titan

So if you return it to original config with only the 500GB connected, it fails to boot up?

USAFRet

Titan

I think you may have somehow screwed the pooch here.
About all you can do is try the Repair function with a Win 10 install USB.

Do this with ONLY the original drive connected.
If you can get it running with the old drive, we can maybe explore cloning again.

Otherwise, you're left with a clean install on the new SSD.

Solution
Oct 5, 2018
@USAFRet

Thanks for the advice.

The windows repair function didn't work but a program called Macrium Reflect has a startup repair that managed to fix it.

I am now cloning my old disk also using Macrium Reflect, which lets you to resize the primary volume. Hopefully this works and I can start computing again.

USAFRet

Titan

I use Macrium exclusively. I'll have to delve into its repair functionality.

At the end of this clone process, you must power off, remove the old drive, and allow the system to try to booy up from only the new drive.

Oct 5, 2018
@USAFRet

Do I need to remove the physical drive or can I just change the boot priority in bios?

I'm doing this on a laptop and it's not easy getting into it.

USAFRet

Titan

Personally, I always recommend physical disconnection. That removes any ambiguity.