Any real risk to cloning HDD to SSD on Windows 10

nai249

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
So I have been looking into cloning my HDD to an SSD.

So if i clone my HDD to my SSD can anything happen to my HDD, From what I understand migrating Windows 10 doesn't always work. If I the migration were to fail could I reset my SSD without worry? Or could I damage it? Could I cause any perminant damage to either of my drives. My data is pretty replaceable I just don't want to spend 100$ on an OS I already own.

Also is it even possible to migrate windows 10? It's difficult to find a straight answer.

I am planning on using Macrium Reflect Free.

USAFRet

Titan
If the data and drive sizes work, and you do it properly, there should be no problem.
Of course, nothing is 100% guaranteed to never fail.

And even if it does fail, you do not have to purchase a whole new OS.
A clean install on a new drive, in the same system, does not require a new license.

1. What is the size of the new SSD?
2. How much total space is consumed on your current HDD?

If #1 is larger than #2, try the clone procedure.
Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

nai249

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
My hdd has 330gb and my ssd has free space of 500gb. So im good in that department.

You said to connect the new SSD to the same SATA port as my original HDD, is this required? My HDD is in a SATA 1 port, shouldn't I use the SATA 3 port for the new SSD?

Thanks for the reply.

USAFRet

Titan

What doe you mean by SATA 1 and SATA 3?
Generally, that would just be the number of the port, not the speed of the port.

What motherboard is this?

nai249

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015

Oh okay, I appreciate the help. If the cloning fails, how would I reset my SSD? Just boot from my normal drive, connect the failed SSD and format it?

USAFRet

Titan

Create a new Win 10 USB or DVD.
Power OFF, disconnect the old drive and connect the new SSD
Boot from the USB or DVD, and install.
How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

nai249

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Last question, suppose that instead of wiping the old drive, I just keep it as a backup so I don't connect it unless my SSD dies. Like a second computer almost, anything wrong with that?

USAFRet

Titan

Serves no purpose, really. Once you start doing things on the new drive, the two installs start to differ.
I've seen people with major issues trying to keep two identical, bootable OS's in the same system.

There are much better ways of backing up and preserving things for safety.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3383768/backup-situation-home.html