Pre built PC Windows10

Jul 8, 2018
The Pre built PC I plan to buy does not come with an OS. This means that when I turn the PC on, it has a trial of windows. To permanently get windows, do I have to either enter a windows10 product key or do I have to attain a windows10 licence and what is the difference between them?
Many websites like software geeks are selling the product keys for windows for £10-20. Are these legitimate? There are also websites that have a list of generic key codes. The main question is to permanently get windows do I need a product key or a licence and how do I do it and what is the difference between them. PS: I have never used windows10 before so have no previous product key.

Solution

It might work for a while, then unactivate itself.
And "always get a refund" is absolutely not a truism.

We've seen cases here where they just give you a big runaround, or simply ignore.

Licensed software is no different than the hardware you're buying. If you see it significantly cheaper than retail, you have to ask yourself....why.
It costs what it costs.

bignastyid

Titan
The Pre built PC I plan to buy does not come with an OS. This means that when I turn the PC on, it has a trial of windows. To permanently get windows, do I have to either enter a windows10 product key or do I have to attain a windows10 licence and what is the difference between them?

The product key is a license

Many websites like software geeks are selling the product keys for windows for £10-20. Are these legitimate?

No, there are many many problems with these cheap key sites, non of which are authorized Microsoft resellers

There are also websites that have a list of generic key codes.

This is not legitimate at all.

The main question is to permanently get windows do I need a product key or a licence and how do I do it and what is the difference between them. PS: I have never used windows10 before so have no previous product key.

Buy a key from a legitimate Microsoft retailer which is going to cost ~$100 depending on version and any sales. If it is significantly cheaper it's like going to be bad or end up that way after some time.

Jul 8, 2018
@bignastid
Aside from legitimacy, with or without a few phone calls, does it work? £10 and £100 is a lot, and getting the £10 code enables more to spend extra money to get a freesync monitor and an rx580 8gb but if I go for MS, I will get a gtx1050ti and v sync. I have seen on other threads people saying it worked and if it doesn't, I can always get a refund.

USAFRet

Titan

It might work for a while, then unactivate itself.
And "always get a refund" is absolutely not a truism.

We've seen cases here where they just give you a big runaround, or simply ignore.

Licensed software is no different than the hardware you're buying. If you see it significantly cheaper than retail, you have to ask yourself....why.
It costs what it costs.

Solution
Jul 8, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from equilibrium814 : "Win10- do I have to use a usb for product key activation?"

@USAFRet
Great! I can just select "no OS".
Thanks!