Windows 10 Reinstall Problem

Icemanskis

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014
I am attempting to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 from a USB drive created by the media tool. I am attempting to reinstall on an SSD (this is the only drive I have). However, every time I install windows it reverts to windows boot manager. (i.e., i cannot load windows from the SSD). When i change the boot order for the SSD to be the first drive following the reinstall it still gives me the insert boot media error screen. Any thoughts on how to remove the boot manager option so the clean install will occur on my SSD?

I should add that windows 10 was working perfectly fine on this same SSD. I then replaced the PSU and after that windows would only boot via the boot manager and not the SSD.

Thanks

Icemanskis

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014

The computer is just super slow. It takes a long time for windows to load and doing everything within windows just lags.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Boot Manager is on your C: drive. It will always boot from BM. That shouldn't be the reason you are experiencing slowness. I suspect something else is at fault.
Do you remember if you originally installed an older version of W10 the first time. And have now installed the latest version?

Icemanskis

Honorable
Jun 16, 2014

Sorry let me be more clear on what occurred. Everything was working fine with windows and my SSD. I then replaced the PSU. When I turned the computer back on I got a black screen with a message that said reboot and select proper boot device. Windows was previously loading from my SSD and no longer would do so. I changed the boot priority order to WBM and that is the only way windows would load but it is super slow.

Now I have attempted to reinstall windows on my SSD so I can properly load off of it, but nothing seems to work. It still will only boot from boot manager.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 isn't off when you shut it down, its asleep. The only time its off normally is during a restart. Why is this relevant? Well, due to way it saves the data it needs for the restart, you can lose data or corrupt files by unplugging it after you shut down. That is what I assume happened here.

Before you reinstall, try this
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
follow this link - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508

windows Boot manager is in the BIOS, its how GPT drives are booted using the UEFI boot method. There is also the windows boot manager in windows but its mainly used for dual boot. they both do similar things. WBM in bios stores the GUID data of all GPT drives in PC so they don't have to be at top of list.

Like clutchc says, the proper boot device will be a UEFI or a WBM device. The slow system may well be a separate issue from the system refusing to boot from a device not UEFI aware.

Start another thread on the topic of a slow windows 10 system.