upgrade from home to pro? windows 10

Sep 24, 2018
is it possible to use a product id from my old( decommissioned) desktop to upgrade laptop from home to pro edition?

the desktop had windows 7 ultimate and I got the free upgrade to windows 10 pro

but now its old and not used anymore can I reuse that product id? and what do I need to do?

I have that hard drive in my current system as a secondary drive. can I see the windows ID of that installation if its not a system drive anymore?

USAFRet

Titan
If the old system were still running, maybe/probably.

The License key from an Updated system is irrelevant, even if you could read it.
You'd needed to have linked that Win 10 license with your MS account, and then maybe transfer that Win 10 Pro to different hardware.

As it is now, doubtful.

Sep 24, 2018
i don't have ms account. i hate Microsoft forcing people to create account and link it to everything including your toilet

the computer is not broken its just old, still works i just don't want to set it up again on my desk.

USAFRet

Titan

That's not the way it works. You absolutely do NOT have to use that account all the time. All my systems have local accounts, both standard user and Admin.

The MS account is just an email address, only used if I need to do something with the licensing on one of these systems.
Oh, and its not even a microsoft email, but rather google. You could use any email address.